SOLVED

Lists - JSON Custom formatting - Multi value columns

Steel Contributor

According the Formatting syntax reference | Microsoft Learn  it would be possible to use Length, Join, & LoopIndex operators for Multi-value columns ($SelectMainProcess). The Join (& other functions) are working as expected when creating a dedicated column and use JSON to format a view column while retrieving the selected values as expected.

See image 2 > "txtContent":"='<txt>' + join($MultiValueColumn, '<sep>')

However when applying the same Join or Length operator for a Multi-Value column in the List to Configure the Header/Footer layout the Join nor Length operator are working, actually the selected values of the Multi-Value column are simply not retrieved. If we turn-off the multi-value option for that column, then a single selected value is retrieved and working as expected.

See image3 

Why can the selected values of Multi-value columns not be retrieved i/t Lists-Configure Layout-Header/Footer context (whereas in View-Column Settings-Format a multi-value column is working like charm)?

4 Replies
best response confirmed by Eric Deferm (Steel Contributor)
Solution

@Eric Deferm 

1. What is the column type, is it choice?
  2. Is this particular column shown on the list form or hidden? If hidden, try showing it on the list form: Show or hide columns in a SharePoint list or library form 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Hi @ganeshsanap, the issue is occrurring with Choice columns (with the option allow multiple selections enabled) and also with Managed Metadata columns.
All these columns are shown in the View as well as on the list Form.
Tx for your reply.

@ganeshsanap 

I guess the answer to my question/issue is mentioned i/t article you shared.

The columns from which I want to retrieve the values are simply not (yet) supported :exclamation_mark:
Would be interesting to know if MSFT will support these type of columns i/t nearby future.

@Eric Deferm 

Article link I mentioned above is related to showing/hiding columns from the list forms, either directly or conditionally.

Here is the Microsoft official documentation/article related to configuring list forms using header/footer layout JSON: Configure the SharePoint list forms using JSON formatting 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Eric Deferm (Steel Contributor)
Solution

@Eric Deferm 

1. What is the column type, is it choice?
  2. Is this particular column shown on the list form or hidden? If hidden, try showing it on the list form: Show or hide columns in a SharePoint list or library form 

View solution in original post