SOLVED

List Comments : @Mention impossible for people with edit permission

Copper Contributor

Hello everyone,

In a Sharepoint list, When someone (with edit permisson) is trying to "@mention" a user in the comment section of an item, he is redirected  to a page asking him to request access to the site.

When he is trying to send comment without mentionning someone it is working.

On my side, when I try to send comments with "@mention" it is working fine (I have Full control permission).

Do you know where it might come from ?

I can't give full control to every user it doesn't make sense.

Thank you.

8 Replies

@Le_Zek 

Is the user you are trying to mention in SharePoint list comments has access to list item?

Maybe something is changed by Microsoft when user you are trying to mention does not have permission on the list item. Hence you have to request access for them.

Check this article once: SharePoint Online/Microsoft Lists: @mention people in list comments - previously it was showing a Grant access popup when users don't have permissions.

And it is working for you because you have full control access on list item hence you can share it with mentioned users without any access request.

If you think this is a bug or it is not working as it was working in the past, you can raise a support ticket with Microsoft directly and report this behavior: Get M365 Support - Online Support 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@ganeshsanap

Thank you for your response.

Actually the user was trying to mention me in the comment.
I have seen this article and your blog in general (thank you for your work by the way.) and could not find any solution with this behavior.

When I try to mention someone who does not have access to the list I have indeed the popup for granting access.
This is different because the user is sent to the following page when he click on a name in the dropdown list of the mention : 

Le_Zek_0-1696597811384.png

As a workaround I have created a CommentCount column to help the users.

Do you think it is possible to use the CommentCount value for each item as a trigger for a flow.

If CommentCount is raising by +1 then send notification to the creator of the item for example ?

Since CommentCount is a string value I don't know if it is possible.

Thank you

best response confirmed by Le_Zek (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Le_Zek Thank you for reading my blog posts, I appreciate it!

The behavior you explained is completely different as compare to how it worked in the past. Maybe something changed at Microsoft end recently, try raising support ticket with Microsoft once.

Are you using item level permissions for this SharePoint list which might be causing this issue to share the list item when user only have edit permissions?

I am not sure what you are doing with workaround by using comments count, but I think you cannot run Power automate flow automatically based on comments count as it is not stored at item level. Comments are stored as list level, check: SharePoint Online: All you need to know about Commenting in Lists 

But you can create a button in list view (against each list item) which will run the Power automate flow when clicked manually. Check: Create a button to launch a Flow 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Hi!
I'm 100 % sure there are changes in Microsoft Lists because I'm seeing a lot of weird behaviors this week when working with Lists

@Juan Carlos González Martín & @Le_Zek 

Yes, Microsoft is releasing lot of changes for SharePoint lists and Microsoft Lists currently. Maybe because of those changes commenting functionality is affected.

Check the new features coming to Lists at: Microsoft Lists: Easier, Better, Faster, Stronger 

I'm completely aware of those new features ;-). Indeed you can check it in the Office 365 for IT Pros book where I update the Microsoft Lists section as soon as new features arrives to my tenants ;)
The answer of Microsoft support :Hello Sir,

As indicated during our discussion and on Unable to use @mention in comments to tag someone on Excel - saying - Microsoft Community, for the moment, identifying collaborators in file comments is not supported on tenants that have conditional access, and there is currently no workaround from Microsoft to use this functionality with conditional access.

I invite you to make a suggestion to the Product Team via the https://feedbackportal.microsoft.com/ platform to hope for an improvement/removal of this condition for the use of this functionality in the coming months.

Please note that this service request has been archived.

Have a nice day and thank you for contacting Microsoft 365 technical support.

Sincerely,
I repled to them that it is dumb because the pushed automatically Conditionnal access in 3 months.
So i think this functionnality will disappear
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Le_Zek (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Le_Zek Thank you for reading my blog posts, I appreciate it!

The behavior you explained is completely different as compare to how it worked in the past. Maybe something changed at Microsoft end recently, try raising support ticket with Microsoft once.

Are you using item level permissions for this SharePoint list which might be causing this issue to share the list item when user only have edit permissions?

I am not sure what you are doing with workaround by using comments count, but I think you cannot run Power automate flow automatically based on comments count as it is not stored at item level. Comments are stored as list level, check: SharePoint Online: All you need to know about Commenting in Lists 

But you can create a button in list view (against each list item) which will run the Power automate flow when clicked manually. Check: Create a button to launch a Flow 

View solution in original post