Issue with Sync button missing in Modern Document Library.

Copper Contributor

So recently the sync button disappeared for some of our document libraries when in modern layout. 

In classic they are still there and the sync works.  It seems to be only for publishing sites.  Anyone ideas?

46 Replies

We are also having the same issue.  The Sync button has disappeared for some but not for others.  Actually, the majority of users seem ok.... just a few of us.  However we can't see the pattern.. Those affected do not have obvious similarities.  e.g. different desktop builds, some on Win7, some on Win10... Just in time for April 1 classic opt out.  About to raise a premiere support ticket.

@Jonathon Abel 

I found the resolution to your issue. 

If the “Sync” option is not available for a library on SharePoint, it could be a couple different things.

Note: Media and Form/InfoPath Libraries will not sync but you can still open them in Windows Explorer and pin to Quick Access so they will function as a mapped drive would.

Sync button is available in one library but no another on the same site

Go to the library for which the sync button is disabled

Go to library settings

Click “Advanced Settings”

Make sure “Offline Client Availability” is set to “Yes”

Go to Site Settings and select “Search and offline availability” from the “Search” section

Make sure “Offline Client Availability” is set to “Yes”

Hi, check the following options:

STEP #1
Go to the site affected collect > “Site Settings” > “Search and offline availability”
Change the option “Offline Client Availability” to YES

STEP #2
Go to the Library Settings > Advanced Settings
Change the option “Offline Client Availability” to YES

After this changes you should be able to see the “Sync” button :)

@TiagoCoelho 

I think I found a way around this annoying situation if it pops up again for anyone.

1 - Close any open browser windows attempting to "Sync" a newly shared folder

2 - Visit office.com, be logged in as your work account, click the rubiks cube and choose Office 365 (we're basically just getting to the following screen, there are many ways)

3 - Look for the "More in OneDrive" button near the lower middle part of the page

4 - (if prompted for permissions, just click thru) Once here, click on the "Return to Classic OneDrive" button in the lower left

5 - Now go back to your shared notification email and click the "open" button in the email.  It should open with the Classic View which returns the Sync button. 

@Jonathon Abel well, this is interesting. I had the same issue and also found that the "Offline Client Availability" was turned on. I tried turning it off, returning to the library then back to the settings to turn it back on again. It seemed to work for me. I hope this helps someone else.

@aniebel1635 Thank you!

Given that people have been returning to this thread once in a while for a long time, makes me think this is an intermittent issue and it some how gets fixed itself! Annoying - yes!

At least that's what has happened to me couple of times. The first time I tried doing a lot of things to fix it, so ended up not being sure which one fix worked. The second time around did noting, and it came back after a while. 

I've got a similar issue with one of my clients. When they are logged in with Account A they get a Sync button. with another account they don't get the Sync button.

For the account that doesn't get the Sync button, that account does get the sync button when they go into a subfolder of the same library.