Impossible to open Autocad files using desktop instead of Web App in SharePoint Online doc library?

Copper Contributor

We are now running SharePoint Online (SPO).

Our company has decided to get rid of a shared network file storage and move our Autocad files over to (SPO).

I hit a bit of a snag with non-MS applications while trying to open them through the browser.

We have AutoCAD files in our document library. When users try and click on it, it automatically tries and open it thorough Autodesk web app, which we never have.  Is this already built-in for SPO? Why does it give me that option?

I have activated the setting for the site to open using client application instead of the browser through the site collection settings and also the same in the document library settings advanced settings.

I believe it only OPENS Microsoft based applications if we turn this on and not any other applications, correct?

My questions are:

1. Why did SPO show us the autodesk wep app option? Is it by default built into share point? How or why did that appear?
  2. Is the "open with client applications" only work for Microsoft products and nothing else like acrobat pdf, autocad, or other programs installed on the users computer? For example, if we have an application called ABC and creates a file with an extension .123 and we try and click in it we n share point, would it not show or gives us the option to “open with” ABC application on the user’s desktop?
  3. For example an autocad (.dwg) or acrobat (.pdf) or photoshop (.psd) or illustrator (.eps), etc... file via the web browser, won't open their desktop apps, correct?
  4. So how I can I make it open automatically using the desktop application and NOT the web app stored on the sharepoint online document library then like the ones I listed above if these applications were installed on that desktop?
  5. Can this be done or does the library have to be sync'd for it to work first? if sync'd to our personal one drive or organizational onedrive?
  6. How can we have users just click on an AutoCAD file, .dwg in SharePoint and have AutoCAD automatically open via the browser?
  7. Same with say a .pdf file via the browser?
  8. Or do we have to sync it and then open the file that way via file explorer and it will automatically open and use Autocad similar to that of a regular or network drive?
  9. The sync is soooo unbearably and unacceptably slow unlike Dropbox.

Any suggestions? or impossible to use with Autocad desktop with SharePoint Online document library?

2 Replies

@HigherEd_Canada-2022 

SharePoint Online (SPO) provides a range of options for handling file types, including AutoCAD (.dwg) files and PDFs. Here are answers to your questions and suggestions on how to work with these file types in SharePoint Online:

1. Why did SPO show us the Autodesk web app option? Is it by default built into SharePoint? How or why did that appear?

SharePoint Online integrates with Office Online Server, which provides web-based viewing and editing capabilities for Office files, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. However, SharePoint does not natively support all file types like AutoCAD (.dwg) or PDFs for in-browser editing. The option you are seeing for Autodesk web app might be due to SharePoint's attempt to provide a web-based viewer for those files.

1. Is the "open with client applications" only work for Microsoft products and nothing else like Acrobat PDF, AutoCAD, or other programs installed on the users' computer?

The "open with client applications" setting in SharePoint is primarily designed for Microsoft Office files. It may not work with non-Microsoft applications like AutoCAD, Acrobat PDF, Photoshop, etc., as SharePoint does not have built-in integration with these non-Microsoft applications for in-browser editing.

1. For example, an AutoCAD (.dwg) or Acrobat (.pdf) or Photoshop (.psd) or Illustrator (.eps) file via the web browser won't open their desktop apps, correct?

That is correct. In most cases, SharePoint Online will not automatically open these desktop applications when you click on the files via the web browser.

1. How can I make it open automatically using the desktop application and NOT the web app stored on the SharePoint Online document library?

To open AutoCAD or other non-Microsoft files using desktop applications:

• Sync Library with OneDrive: You can sync the SharePoint Online document library to your local computer using OneDrive sync. Once synchronized, you can open files directly from your local File Explorer, and they will open in the associated desktop application.
  • Use "Open with" Option: If you're viewing files directly in SharePoint Online and want to open them with desktop applications, you can right-click on the file and select "Open with" to choose the appropriate desktop application if it's installed on your computer.
  1. Can this be done or does the library have to be synced for it to work first?

Synchronization (syncing) the library to your local computer is one of the most convenient ways to ensure that files open in desktop applications. This eliminates the need to navigate through the web interface each time you want to access a file.

1. The sync is slow unlike Dropbox. Any suggestions?

OneDrive sync speed can vary depending on factors such as your internet connection, the number of files, and file sizes. Ensure you have a stable and fast internet connection. You can also try optimizing the OneDrive sync settings to improve performance. If speed remains an issue, consider contacting Microsoft Support for specific troubleshooting assistance.

In summary, while SharePoint Online primarily focuses on Microsoft Office file types for in-browser editing and collaboration, you can still work with non-Microsoft file types like AutoCAD (.dwg) and Acrobat PDFs by syncing the library to your local computer and opening them with the respective desktop applications. SharePoint Online's capabilities and performance are always improved, so it is a good idea to consult the latest Microsoft documentation or support resources for the most up-to-date information and guidance. The text and steps were edited with the help of AI.

My answers are voluntary and without guarantee!

Hope this will help you.

Was the answer useful? Mark them as helpful and like it!

This will help all forum participants.