Feature request: Hide OPEN in WORD ONLINE from menu

Copper Contributor

Hi folks. Having two Sharepoint sites I've setup for clients, I notice a frustrating issue. When in a Documents library, a person can right click on a WORD or EXCEL doc, or click the three vertical dots. (Brings up the quick menu). There is a choice of OPEN in WORD ONLINE or WORD.  I would really like to see an administrator setting that would hide the choice that the company does NOT want implemented. In this case, hide the choice for WORD ONLINE. That way, a well formatted document with advanced features in WORD will not be stripped of those features when accidentally opened in Word online.

In an ideal world this would controlled *per user*.  But would love to just be able to disable it for all users on a site, or not.

Does this make sense? Or am I missing something in asking for this?

2 Replies
You can set the default way documents open but to my knowledge you cannot change from being able to open with Office online. There may be a way to use conditional access policies to require a desktop client but I don't see how you can restrict that to just documents only.
Also, check Uservoice and put the request there if it's not and post it here for others to get the voting started!