Dynamic Permissions using AD Groups or Exchange Distribution Lists on SharePoint Team Sites

Brass Contributor

Hi,

Like many companies we are split into Units and Divisions, and those Divisions have teams within them.

Here is the problem...

I am in the IT department.

In the IT department we have many team sites (applications, networks, infrastructure etc.)

We use the standard owners, members and visitors groups to control access to the sites.

How can I give visitor access to all people in IT to the IT Team Sites, such that it updates daily based on an attribute equalling 'IT'.

I am not an Active Directory or Exchange expert so apologies if I get any of my terminology wrong!

Note: we are a hybrid configuration of Office 365 with Exchange /  AD on Premises.

I have done a little bit of research and it seems that at the moment:

• AD security groups can be added to the visitors list (i.e. they appear in the people picker) but these aren't dynamic lists
  • Distribution lists can't be added to the visitors list (i.e. they don't appear in the people picker) but these can be made to by dynamic

How can I get around this problem?

Thanks,

Paul

5 Replies

Use membership of security groups in AD to control access by adding these groups to your SharePoint Groups.

Do you have Azure AD Premium? it comes with the Enterprise Mobily + Security license. If so, you can create a new group that dynamically maintains its members, see https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/active-directory-accessmanagement-groups-wi....

You can then put this group into a SP Group that implements the desired permissions on the appropriate SP objects (lists/libraries/sites)

Ian, do I need AADP to do this, or will any version of AD suffice?

Thanks, Dean - I'll check out our AADP status.

Any version, but for what @Dean Gross describes, AADP is required for all users that are to be included in dynamic groups