Changing MinRoles

Silver Contributor

I am trying to put together a test plan to evaluate MinRole architecture options. I'd like to start with a WFE/Cache server and another App/Search role. I'm thinking that if I load test them, at some point I should get some numbers that would indicate somethign should be changed:

Option 1. Cache should go onto its own server or

Option 2 - Search should be moved onto its own server.

Option 3 - WFE/Cache should be scaled up

Option 4 - App/Seach should be scaled up

Can anyone tell me what type of performance metrics I should be evaluating to make these types of decision? are there specific processes that would be most important to monitor?

@Trevor Sewardor @Neil Hodgkinson can either of you offer any guidance?

1 Reply
Concurrent user count is typically the key value for testing a SharePoint platform, but knowing your mix of reads/writes is also a factor. I prefer to start with four servers, 2 DC+FE, 2 App+Search, then scale out or up as appropriate.

CPU utilization and memory utilization are important for DC, Fe, App, Search, while disk I/O is important for Search Index. Don't forget your SQL Servers too, though.

FWIW, I served 100k+ employees on farms with 4 member servers (SP 2013) and two SQL Servers in AOAG (2014). Concurrent connections got up into the 10 - 15k range before the farm fell over, if I recall.

Load testing was done via the VS Load Tester with multiple agents.