MS Planner: Ability to assign sub-tasks?

Copper Contributor

Hi there,

We are using Planner and was hoping to find a way to assign sub-tasks within a task to specific team members. This way, we don't need to track dozens of tasks for one project. We are also not interested in created a Planner for each project, because some projects may only be 1-3 tasks that need to be worked on by multiple team members.

We are using the checklist feature and assigning multiple people to a task, manually typing their name in the checklist - but this is not a great tool, as it leaves room for a lot of human error, unable to assign deadlines for checklist items, and we can't @ team members in the comments in a task.

Is this possible or at least in the pipeline for Planner? Other project mgmt tools offer this, so I can't find a reason why Planner would skip this entirely. I am hoping I am just missing something.

1 Reply

Hi @vculver,

The ability to assign sub-tasks to specific team members is not currently available in Microsoft Planner.

Microsoft has not yet announced any plans to add sub-tasks to Planner. However, they have been listening to feedback from users and have added other features, such as rich text in task notes and the ability to share plans with a file container. It is possible that Microsoft may add sub-tasks to Planner in the future.

You can also use a Send PLanner Feedback option in Microsoft Planner so you can pass your idea directly to Microsoft Planner team.

LeonPavesic_0-1698323597435.png

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue.
This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item.

If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Kindest regards,

Leon Pavesic
(LinkedIn)