Problem creating multiple IMAP accounts from the same e-mail provider

Brass Contributor

Hello,

I'm using MS Outlook 2016 desktop application, specifically Microsoft® Outlook® 2016 MSO (Version 2403 Build 16.0.17425.20124) 64-bit (so not Office 365 or web-based outlook).

I am having issues creating more than one IMAP account.

I have successfully set up the multiple accounts on my phone as IMAP and another desktop mail utility but I'm only having trouble with Outlook 2016.

When trying to create the account I get consistently an error message "We couldn't create the Outlook data file. Make sure the disk you're saving to isn't full or write-protected and that the file isn't being used".

Now I don't have control of the location and it goes to C:\Users\(my userid)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook and there is plenty of space on the disk.

The thing is, is that the file is being created and it is being displayed in the folders pane in Outlook.

In addition, the setup is sending the standard Outlook Test Message and that test message is being received by the accounts in question.

If I delete the first account I created, I am then able to add one of the other previously failed accounts. But then I am unable to add back the account I deleted and get the same error.

I am able to add all the accounts as POP accounts but that sort of defeats the purpose of sharing mail accounts across multiple devices.

I look forward to suggestions on how to create these secondary IMAP accounts.

Thank You.

2 Replies

If you're having trouble generating numerous IMAP accounts from the same email provider, it's conceivable that your email service restricts or limits the number of concurrent connections or accounts from a single IP address. Here are some steps to troubleshoot and resolve this issue:

1. Check your email provider's policies: Review your email provider's terms of service or support documentation. Some providers may specify any limitations or restrictions on creating multiple accounts.
  2. Contact Email Provider Support: If you are unsure about any limits, contact your email provider's support team for assistance. They can shed light on any restrictions and assist with problem solving.
  3. Use Different Credentials: For each IMAP account you try to create, make sure you use unique credentials (username and password). Some providers may allow numerous accounts as long as they use different login passwords.
  4. Check IMAP Configuration: Make sure you're configuring each IMAP account with the right server settings given by your email provider. Make sure you're using the correct IMAP server IP, port number, and SSL settings.
  5. Check Network Connectivity: Make sure your network connection is solid and not experiencing any problems. Intermittent network issues can make it difficult to set up several accounts.
  6. Try Different Email Clients: If you're using one email client to set up the IMAP accounts, try another to see if the problem persists. Different email applications may treat IMAP connections differently.
  7. Check for IP Address Restrictions: Some email providers may place restrictions on IP addresses, particularly if they identify many login attempts from the same IP address in a short period of time. If possible, set up the accounts using different IP addresses.
  8. Use OAuth Authentication: If your email provider offers OAuth authentication, consider utilizing it instead of regular username/password login. OAuth can get around some restrictions on concurrent connections.
  9. Check Account Limitations: Make sure you're not violating any account restrictions imposed by your email provider. Some providers may restrict the number of accounts or connections per user.
  10. Consider Alternative Solutions: If you are unable to resolve the issue with your email provider, consider email forwarding or merging many accounts into a single account.

Hi @Gilgamesh1964 and Microsoft team. I'm having the exact same problem! The company boss and web developer have also tried helping from their expertise but have been left equally baffled. We've tried both the Microsoft app and the Outlook app on a Mac desktop and this Mac Book Air with Ventura and tried different email accounts to attach to this one but everything brings up the same red error message. Please can you contact us to help or provide a link with a solution. Thank you