SOLVED

Outlook Mail will not return to inbox

Copper Contributor

Firefox on macOS

When you have folders on the left and emails on the right, you were able to click an email that would open on the right, then you could return to view all your emails by clicking on the "Inbox". That function no longer works. Nothing happens when you click "Inbox". And it is the same if you are in "Junk Mail" or "Sent Items". Across the board. You can return to "Inbox" using back key or equivalent. Any ideas?

29 Replies
I've gotten this solved but I'm left with a bigger question. Microsoft's only response was to let me know that NEW APPS HAVE BEEN INSTALLED, yet they provide NO information on exactly what these apps are nor how to remove them. Now, microsoft probably has 24/7 access to my computers and there doesn't seem to be anything I can do about it.

How did you fix this problem? It is slowing me down. @jpharanoutlookcom 

At the top left corner of the email itself, there is a X Close link that takes you back to whichever folder you navigated from. Another person's reply in this thread solved this, not I.

From my outlook mail, after finishing, I must hit close to get out and the inbox to get back to my inbox. I cannot directly go from an opened email back to inbox?  @Sandystl 

Yes. When you hit Close, it will go back to Inbox. Then you may delete the email or file it in a folder. Just an additional inefficiency.

Open a support request to Microsoft. In Outlook Web, click on help, then on the right pane select at the bottom "feedback", then "I don't like something", write it there the issue and don't be shy!

For business open a support request inside Microsoft 365 admin center to go directly to Microsoft priority support.

brainsengineering_0-1678385229513.png  

brainsengineering_1-1678385246949.png

best response confirmed by JimmEee (Copper Contributor)
Solution
I was able to contact Support via Chat from my live.com account and from what the rep is telling me this is the way it functions now and you can only return to the parent folder/message list by clicking the X Close at the top left of the message.

Their response after I asked if this change was permanent - "This is by default on all accounts across globe, I suggest you post your feedback on feedback page as this is monitored by developers team." I further questioned if "default" meant there is a way to change this behavior, they did not know and pointed me to the feedback page: https://feedbackportal.microsoft.com/feedback/post/

@brains-engineering Thanks, but no thank you. I already have unknown apps in my browser because I contacted microsoft. They didn't bother even to answer the question about the Outlook problem solved by the X Close button. I got my answer here, in this chat...and no new apps forced on me!...lol

Useless boomer-tier reply. Everyone has the problem, no need to reiterate.
You can use the "close" button on top of the e-mail subject you're currently viewing. I don't know if it has always been there, but I hope it's not Microsoft forcing us to use this button from now on.