New Outlook - Unable to Block Image Downloads

Brass Contributor

Where in the new Outlook do I have the option to block the automatic loading of images for a Consumer O365 account or an Exchange account. In the current full version this is simple to do.

In looking at the settings I can find no such option. What I can find is the setting to block external content, but it doesn't seem to be working correctly.

In the Exchange account I have it set like this

MichaelPrice_0-1690654619166.png

Images are being blocked. I see this in the message. Where is this setting?

MichaelPrice_1-1690654726752.png

In the consumer account I have it set to what would seem to be even more restrictive.

MichaelPrice_2-1690654841928.png

However, all images are getting through.

In OWA I have this option

MichaelPrice_3-1690654983361.png

This is still not good enough, but why isn't it in the New Outlook as most settings seem to be the same for Outlook as OWA.

To be clear MS, for me personally as well as the 25K+ corporate mailboxes I am responsible for will not use the new version until this is resolved. 

4 Replies

After getting bombarded with mails I just discovered that the auto-loading of images is the most probable cause. So disappointed in Microsoft. Will probably start looking for a more security concerned mail provider as the the current mail address is burned anyway.

I was really surprised to find this option missing, it's gaping security hole. This should've been implemented from the start, but since we're here, I really hope it will be implemented as soon as possible.

@Emjay

A few ways: 

1) View > View Settings > Mail > Junk Email. Scroll down to "Filters". Make sure only "Block images, attachments, pictures, and links from anyone not in my safe senders and domains list" is enabled.

2) View > View Settings > Mail > Layout.  Under "Sender Images", make sure "don't" is enabled.

3) View > View Settings > Privacy and Data. Under "External Images", make sure "Always use Outlook service to load images".

@ColemanMP thnx for the steps, unfortunately these are available only for microsoft mail accounts (hotmail, live, outlook ...). If I link my gmail / yahoo / work email accounts, those won't be protected and by using the new outlook they will trigger the flood of junk mails for those accounts.

Not sure how these features are missing from a product they are trying to force us to switch to when the "old" app had all these features for all accounts, and the Outlook for Android which is the closest to this New Outlook for Windows app also has all these security features for all type of email accounts along with the merged/linked inbox, another existing feature in all other MS email clients but the new OL for Win :\