navigation bar moved to left

Iron Contributor

Dears,

The navigation bar has been moved to the left. How can I change it back to be on the bottom?

1.png 

416 Replies
Thank you!
Thanks for the @baja - worked perfectly for me!

@bajabenedik Thank you!

@denniswgnz - Thank you!!!

Absolutely terrible change, what are they thinking??  One thing to move it, but no choice to opt out?? 

Thanks to all who posted the RegEdit hack, never turning this off

This method worked for me. Don't move my cheese! :D

@thompsob 

That didn't work for me!

Do we have any other ideas folks ?

@vsvassilev 

Close Outlook, and then in the registry editor, navigate to the following registry key…

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\ExperimentEcs\Overrides

Locate the “Microsoft.Office.Outlook.Hub.HubBar” string value and set it to “false“. If there isn’t a “Microsoft.Office.Outlook.Hub.HubBar” string value in this registry key, create a new string value in this location called “Microsoft.Office.Outlook.Hub.HubBar” and set it to “false“.

You can now open Outlook again and you should be able to enjoy your Navigation buttons back at the bottom of the screen again.

Thank you,
I did try this but no changes

Add  string value Microsoft.Office.Outlook.Hub.HubBar to this key and set it to False, then restart Outlook. (It's only a short term fix, although right now, we don't know how short term.) 

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\ExperimentConfigs\ExternalFeatureOverrides\outlook

If you don't want to edit the registry, I have a ready to use reg file at the end of this article - 

Outlook's Left Navigation Bar (slipstick.com)

Don't forget to Vote for and comment on this suggestion - hopefully they will add a permanent solution for people who want to remove it.
https://feedbackportal.microsoft.com/feedback/idea/c4da6df0-a9a0-ec11-a81c-000d3a0eaac7

In the Registry using Registry Edit find:  Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\ExperimentEcs\outlook\Overrides

Under Default,create the string value, Microsoft.Office.Outlook.Hub.HubBar, and then right click and modify and add False to the value, immediately after reopening Outlook the Navigation Bar was back where it belongs, at the bottom, under the folder list. 

@vsvassilev 

@PhilS0913 

Thank you all, but isn't working !

I'm also talking about a corporate device , so is it possible that changing the Regs is blocked ?

Thanks 

While it is possible corporate blocked it, if you could get into the registry and edit the string, then its not blocked.

Did you restart Outlook? <= required
did you try the ready to use reg file in the link I posted? That eliminates errors creating the key.

@J4203 

MVP Thanks soooo much!

To the Microsoft team: stop messing around with interefaces! We don't need ANY NEW garbage. Office just works as it is. You didn't learn anything from the Ribbon disaster and backlash?

Instead of wasting time on this why don't you fix powerpoint charts which suck since the beginning time?

@tolgac 

Worked, Thanks

I opened my email today and it looked different! After some troubleshooting, I realized I selected Folders in the Navigation Pane. It looked different than what I was used to seeing when opening email - more folders. I was getting alot of sync issue emails but I was using email all day without issue sending and receiving. I then noticed a line beside Folders in the Navigation Pane. I changed it to the Envelope icon and now see my email as I usually do. What is the purpose of the Folders icon? Is it where Outlook data is saved for syncing to OWA?

No, its not where data is saved for syncing. :) It's all of the folders in your folder list - when outlook was first released (25 yrs ago!), it was the only view - then to reduce clutter, Microsoft added the separate modules.

While some people prefer it over the separate modules, it is useful if you need to find a folder or have multiple calendar or contacts folders and need to figure out which ones to keep or use.

ETA: 

Oh, and you need it if you need to investigate sync issues or view public folders (another oldie!) - both are only visible in the folder list. 

Thanks for the clarification Diane. I have always used email under the Envelope view. I don't know how I set it to Folder yesterday. I thought it was the new Outlook as I remember something in regard to Conteros or Contero (can't remember the correct name) popping up when I opened my Outlook yesterday. For me, it has too many email folders I don't need or use. I like using the Envelope tab. Yes, I noticed sync issue emails only appear in the Folder view, not in the view under the email Envelope. In the end, it was I that pressed a button and saw a different view. I am unpinning the Folder view.
>>
For me, it has too many email folders I don't need or use.
<<
That is why Microsoft created the modules for each folder type.

Sometimes they make changes we all love... other times, not so much. <g>

Thank you very much, this worked!

@Vik99977