How to hide file extensions in outlook

Copper Contributor

Hi there. 
I need to hide somehow file extension not only in File Explorer, but in Outlook also. 
When composing new email I insert attachment via Attach File. In this window file extensions are hidden. 
But when document is attached to the email itself, it is displayed with the full name, including .extension.

I`ve tried to find any related to it option in Outlook itself, but had no luck.

P.S. 

TarasNehrov_0-1688643929991.png

11 Replies

@TarasNehrov 

In Microsoft Outlook, the display of file extensions for attachments in the body of an email is controlled by the recipient's email client settings and not by the sender. However, you can make changes to how file extensions are displayed in the Windows File Explorer, which can affect the attachment display in Outlook.

To hide file extensions in Windows File Explorer, follow these steps:

Open File Explorer by pressing Windows Key + E.

Click on the "View" tab in the File Explorer ribbon.

In the "Show/hide" section, uncheck the "File name extensions" option.

By disabling the display of file extensions in File Explorer, it may affect how file attachments are shown in Outlook for the recipient if they have the same settings.

It's important to note that the appearance of file attachments in the recipient's email client is ultimately determined by their email settings and not by the sender. Therefore, you cannot directly control how file extensions are displayed in the recipient's Outlook client.

Additionally, hiding file extensions can potentially introduce security risks, as it becomes more difficult for recipients to identify potentially malicious file types. It's generally recommended to leave file extensions visible for security reasons.The text and the steps were created with the help of AI.

My answer is voluntary and without guarantee.

Hope this will help you.

Thank you for the response, but steps you provided don`t work - as I`ve mentioned that:
- extensions are already hidden in File Explorer;
- I`m interested in hiding extensions on the composing email stage.

@TarasNehrov 

I apologize for the confusion. To clarify, you are looking for a way to hide file extensions in the file attachment window when composing an email in Outlook. Unfortunately, there is no built-in feature in Outlook to hide file extensions specifically within the attachment window during email composition.

The display of file extensions within the attachment window in Outlook is controlled by the operating system's file display settings, which are typically set to show file extensions by default. Changing this setting affects the display of file extensions globally in Windows and would not be limited to the attachment window in Outlook.

If you are seeing file extensions within the attachment window while composing an email in Outlook, it is likely due to the file extensions being visible in your operating system's file display settings.

To hide file extensions in Windows globally (including within the attachment window in Outlook), you can follow the steps provided earlier to disable file extensions in File Explorer. However, keep in mind that this will hide file extensions throughout the operating system, not just within Outlook.

Again, I apologize for any confusion caused, and I understand that this may not be the specific solution you were looking for within Outlook. The text created with the help of AI.

My answer is voluntary and without guarantee.

Hope this will help you.

No way. May I ask why do you need it - a bit strange requirement IMHO.
I don`t know how, but some users of our com add-in have these extensions hidden in new email window. It can cause issues while processing attached to email documents, as we take display_name for processing.
Can you modify your COM add-in to just ignore the extension?

Unfortunately, no. Problem occurs when some other com add-ins interact with attachments before ours.
For example - Mimecast Large File Send functionality - you past big attachment via Mimecast, and its attached as a link. However, they retain the full name of the file, so for example in my environments it looks like FileName.originalExtension.lfs.
In customer env it is past like FileName.originalExtension. .lfs is hidden/not shown, and our add-in processes it as pdf file(and it obviously leads to corruption of the file).

@TarasNehrov 

Sorry I don't catch your point.
in my environments it looks like FileName.originalExtension.lfs.
In customer env it is past like FileName.originalExtension. .lfs is hidden/not shown, and our add-in processes it as pdf file

But the original extension is pdf, correct? Why abscence of .lfs extension prevents you to do what you want?

.lfs is not supported file extension. We do not process it.
.pdf is listed as supported extension. We process it. So the problem is - LFS functionality of Mimecast replaces the original file with the link - and in case when display_name or full_file_name do not includes .lsf extension - we corrupt this link.
We`ve already tried to replace display_name with full_file_name - and it works for most of the scenarios when any 3rd party add-ins interact with email attachments before ours.
But in case with Mimecast it doesn`t work. It looks like they do not change file_name when adding their link.
Hi Taras, Hide File Extensions in Windows File Explorer:

Open File Explorer.
Go to the "View" tab in the ribbon at the top.
In the "Show/hide" section, uncheck the "File name extensions" option.
This will hide file extensions in File Explorer.
Change File Extension Visibility in Windows Settings:

Open the Windows Settings by pressing the Windows key + I.
Click on "Personalization," then select "File Explorer" from the left sidebar.
Under the "Advanced settings" section, toggle off the "Show file extensions" option.
This will globally hide file extensions in Windows, including in Outlook.
Please note that changing these settings will hide file extensions system-wide, not just in Outlook.
Could you show what exactly you can retrieve at the recipient's end (display_name, full_file_name etc)?