Does Outlook have a normal.dotm file?

Copper Contributor

I am having an issue with spell checking within Microsoft Outlook.  When I create an email, spell checking does not work at all even though all the settings are set correctly.  It won't even find misspelled words when I do a manual spell check.  However, if I reply to an email or if someone sends me a blank email template, then spell checking works.  The only thing I can figure out is that whatever standard template that Outlook uses (like the normal.dotm file in Word) is corrupted and needs recreating.

What can I do to fix this issue?  I know in Word if I delete the normal.dotm file, Word will recreate.  What would be the equivalent steps for Outlook.  What file does Outlook use as the default template for emails and where is it so I can delete it?  I'm hoping that fixes my issue, but I'm open to other suggestions as well.  But again, it is definitely not a settings issue as these have been checked and compared to another computer where spell checking works.  It also isn't tied to a specific Window user profile since I can log in to another machine and spell check works fine.  It has something to do with the specific installation of Outlook I have installed on my machine.  Uninstalling Outlook and reinstalling is not an option.

0 Replies