Silently configure OneDrive using Windows 10 or domain credentials

Deleted
Not applicable

Hi ,

In reference to :

(Preview) Silently configure OneDrive using Windows 10 or domain credentials  

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Use-Group-Policy-to-control-OneDrive-sync-client-settings-0...

I have a few questions;

The article states that "This policy lets you configure the OneDrive sync client silently using the primary Windows account on Windows 10, and domain credentials on Windows 7 and later."

What is a primary windows account on windows 10? I have a Win 10 and i sign in using a domain account. 

I created the registries for EnableADAL and SilentAccountConfig , restarted the sync client and also the machine.

This does not sign me in to my account automatically. Is there something i am missing?

I noticed a few things after adding the registries;

1.Theres a new file added under C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\settings called PreSignInSettingsConfig.json

2..Everytime i launch the onedrive app and the sign in screen appears; it creates a new update file at:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\setup\logs and the contents of the file say its trying to refer to the .json file mentioned in 1.

I am not sure what i am doing wrong, any help would be appreaciated.

59 Replies

Priyank

Whenever user enter his UPN on any office 365 site(OWA/SP/OneDrive), it redirects to siteminder to validate authentication and then validate and logged in automatically. I think here is the problem, after installing Onedrive, it is not automatically logging so probably not getting any endpoint.

I am attaching fiddler screenshot for your reference.

Can you please share the screenshot of your machine registry if possible? I want to compare with my registry,may be I am missing something
Let me know what else I need to check.

After setting the ADAL registry key as noted in the original deployment article, and setting the silentaccountconfig reg key, I can ONLY get this to work if my domain users perform "Add a work or school account" first.

If I remove the work account from this domain computer, the silentconfig of onedrive is now broken, and useless.

The entire feature is actually useless if all users need to manually perform the "add work account" process. This process so far.... is not actually silent until we can truly simply use the domain credential, or if there is a way to automate the "add work account" process.

We were advised that the version of OneDriveSetup.exe must be at least 17.3.7073.1013 or later (10/26/2017) in order for the silent configuration to work.  We have been upgrading the OneDriveSetup.exe in C:\Windows\SysWOW64 in order to force this to work, and it has.  We are searching for more effective ways to include the updated setup in our image.

The first thing i tried was to use latest onedrivesetup, from Oct 2017, in my image build. Still no automation occured.

Hi Tom

Just changes in the registry and copy the OnedriveSetup.exe in C:\Windows\SysWOW64 not working, I might be missing some steps.

Can you please share the steps to which you implement?

I am using latest client Build. 17.3.1076.1026.

Avian

We are using two group policies, one for computer, and one for user settings.

The User policy sets the "default location for the OneDrive folder," and includes the tenant GUID of our OneDrive. It also "prevents users from changing the location of their OneDrive folder" (which also includes the tenant GUID). This policy also contains a preference to set the EnableADAL registry value (DWORD:0x1) in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\OneDrive.

The Computer policy sets the "Silently configure OneDrive using the primary Windows account," sets the "Allow synching OneDrive Accounts for only specific organizations" (includes the tenant GUID), and also sets the "maximum size of a user's OneDrive" (and also includes the tenant GUID).

You should check the version of the OneDrive policy templates you are using to ensure they are also as recent as the OneDriveSetup.exe. Earlier versions did not incorporate the tenantGUID in the policy editor.

Jaffer, absolutely.  Along with a place to store files, OneDrive provides easier access, co-authoring and versioning typically not found on file shares.

Hi Avian,
I think I have confirmed that the silent config is not compatible with MFA. I was playing around with this all day and couldn't get it to work. Then I turned off MFA on my test account and just like that the silent config started working. Unfortunately, that means I won't be able to use this feature in my org, as MFA is a requirement. Hope this helps shed some light on your troubles.
Justin

Thanks for clarification Justin.

I will wait once OneDrive Silent Aithentication start supporting MFA.

@Justin Holloman wrote:
Hi Avian,
I think I have confirmed that the silent config is not compatible with MFA. I was playing around with this all day and couldn't get it to work. Then I turned off MFA on my test account and just like that the silent config started working. Unfortunately, that means I won't be able to use this feature in my org, as MFA is a requirement. Hope this helps shed some light on your troubles.
Justin

Justin,

Try whitelisting your work's public IP address in your MFA policy. That should allow the feature to work as MFA would essentially be off inside your network due to the whitelist. MFA would still be required when users log in while outside your network though.

I just started looking into the silent config feature myself so haven't even started testing it yet. However, we already have whitelisting for MFA setup and it works great. Instances where MFA can get in the way are no longer an issue, so long as the user or device is in the building.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the suggestion, Ted. Unfortunately, we already have our corporate IPs exempted from MFA so that 2-factor is not required while inside a company office. Somehow, that doesn't seem to apply to the OneDrive silent config, though I can't understand how/why.
Darn. Was hoping my first post here would have been helpful. Sounds like I may run into the same issue when we finally have time to start testing this. If I manage to find a solution I'll share it. Hopefully Microsoft will get it working. Guessing that's why the feature is still labeled preview.

Anyone made some progress?

I have not been able to work on this yet. Will try to remember to post here when I do.

Does anybody know, what microsoft means with the primary Windows account in the setting "Silently configure OneDrive using the primary Windows account"?

The name of that setting was "Silently configure OneDrive using Windows 10 or domain credentials" - so do they still support using domain credentials?

I'm not able to get this setting working - we use Azure AD Connect to put our local domain users to Azure AD and Office365.

I'm on the exact same page you'r stuck at.

Our config:

ADFS internal, Netscaler as WAP external

Internal clients have recieve internal ADFS IP from DNS

STS is in trusted zone

I got the population working by starting:

"C:\Program Files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe" odopen://sync?useremail=<email>

because using %LocalAppdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\OneDrive.exe odopen://sync?useremail=<email> does not populate

Still users are required to hit the login button.... that's where i'm stuck

What i got sofar, SSO working

Got adsync running sso enabled for Office..

Computer\Policies\Administrative Templates\Onedrive

Allow syncing OneDrive accounts for only specific organizations

State

Enabled

Tenant GUID

<removed>

Enable OneDrive Files On-Demand

State

Enabled

Prevent OneDrive from generating network traffic until the user signs in to OneDrive

State

Enabled

Silently configure OneDrive using the primary Windows account

State

Enabled

The maximum size of a user's OneDrive for Business before they will be prompted to choose which folders are downloaded

State

Enabled

Tenant Path

<removed>

Value

User\Policies\Administrative Templates\Onedrive

Coauthoring and in-app sharing for Office files

State

Enabled

Delay updating OneDrive.exe until the second release wave

State

Enabled

Prevent users from changing the location of their OneDrive folder

State

Enabled

Tenant Path

<removed>

Value

Prevent users from synchronizing personal OneDrive accounts

State

Enabled

Prevent users from using the remote file fetch feature to access files on the computer

State

Enabled

Set the default location for the OneDrive folder

State

Enabled

Tenant Path

<removed>

Value

%UserProfile%

Users can choose how to handle Office files in conflict

State

Enabled

Sts-adfs in trusted zone. EnableADAL off (0)

Configuration in ADFS

"/adfs/services/trust/13/windowstransport": Enabled

However this is only internal, external this is disabled

The users use a different UPN Suffix than the Domain Name.

The email address is populated, When I start Onedrive with:

"C:\Program Files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe" odopen://sync?useremail=<email>

The email address is not populated, When I start Onedrive with:

%LocalAppdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\OneDrive.exe odopen://sync?useremail=<email>

However, still the users need to hit the Login button. Anyone stuck, feel free to duplicate my settings and try to fix the Login automation.

Hi,

anyone have the idea why the GPO not applied on the registry?

I tried to run gpresult /H result.html and seems the gpo applied to the machine. but not applied in registry.

GPO.PNGRegedit.PNG

Does anybody know if we need an Azure AD Sync with an ADFS infrastructure or if Azure AD Sync with Password Sync will work as well? I'm still not able to get this working ...