One Drive and iOS Files app connection issue

Copper Contributor

Hi, I’m using the iOS Files app to connect to One Drive. 
Recently I have experienced the following problem when trying to connect to One Drive.

Files app displays the error message, Content Unavailable. The folder contents could not be displayed because of an unknown error - try again.

I have deleted the One Drive and iOS Files app and reinstalled and tried to connect again but the problem continues. I have logged an issue with One Drive but we seem to be going around in circles and the agent doesn’t get the issue, even after sending a screen recording of what’s happening. Any ideas what’s going on as it’s doing my head in? 

66 Replies
Looks like Microsoft want us to stick with OneDrive App instead of using iOS Files App.

@HenryAu

Yeah.. but issue is that if you are accessing mail or any app to attach file from onedrive it wont work if the folder has more than 50 files in it This is really pain in the a**.  I am surprised to see such big tech giants apple and MS could not sort this out

Spoiler
Having the same exact issue and just started a couple of days ago... I can access the OneDrive files through my iPhone but not on my iPad Pro 2020.  I called Apple Support and they said it was a Microsoft issue.  Just seems weird it will work on iPhone but not iPad.  Drag and drop from OneDrive App to Email is what I have resorted to using when attaching files to emails.  
i use goodnotes as well and that's where i experienced this glitch. i cannot import my files from onedrive into my goodnotes. my onedrive will open and I get to access my main folder that only has 3-4 subfolders. i copied my most important files into a dummy folder that I added so I could import files. i did get a microsoft tech to help me fix it but he said that this can only be fixed with the next onedrive update

@Boooomer 

Update - the File Folder I thought I fixed, just stopped working again on it’s own. 55 files. The folder remains accessible on my other computers, (both Windows & Mac) my I phone, as well as the OneDrive App on my I Pad. The problem is  unique with the Files App on the I Pad. 

Same issue, affecting iPhone and iPad - also affecting OneDrive Personal and OneDrive for Business... you can see them there, hit Files within the Files app, it briefly shows the contents and then errors....

but I've noticed that you can copy from Files into OneDrive, and that approach does list all the folders available within each of the OneDrive containers, but you cannot open Files from OneDrive/OneDrive for Business from within the iOS Files app

Hi @stevenjeve I have a weird issue which just started happening yesterday. Before that, I could log in and see one drive and my folders and files, no issue. Now when I log in, I come to this portal page and I can't get to one drive. I've searched and checked the options etc. but I can't find one drive. Maybe it is a simple issue but am a bit lost and need advice/help. I've put the link https://portal.office.com/account/#

@Boooomer

Update 7 24 20

After uploading a few pdf files from other computers to the subdirectory,  I now have over 60 files. For some reason I was able to open the subdirectory on my IPad...it just started to work. Maybe there was an update??

@Boooomer Still not working here :( 

@HenryAu 

Give us a fully-functional Onedrive app and we might stick with it. I have 2 files I need to edit so I need to duplicate them in order to keep one of each of them intact. There seems to be no way to do that within the Onedrive app. Of course, from what I have seen on this forum, Microsoft doesn’t spend a lot of time here, so I don’t expect to see anything accomplished on this problem in the future, at least as a result of the complaints here.

This solution worked! It appears the error occurs when there are more than 50 files in the root directory. We organizing files to subdirectories fix the issue. Thanks.

@tmbc2020 The customer service seriously told you to wait until the new update comes out? That’s ridiculous. 

@stevenjeve Same issue for about a week on my iPad Pro. I have two accounts because I teach at two separate schools. One works fine, but the other does not. Any other place: iPhone, computers, no problem. Do the 50 files include the sub folders inside the main folder? I know I have a lot more than 50 files. This thread has been going on for weeks, and it appears that the only response from Microsoft has been “wait until the new update comes out.” Is Microsoft too busy trying to purchase Tik Tok to worry about the people who actually are doing like, work? 

The new update solved the problem. I updated, logged out, OneDrive and office 365, logged in and it worked.

@Bruno_Abreu 

My OneDrive stopped working again when I uploaded a couple of more files.

But this update seems to have worked.. I deleted the App and then reinstalled it on my IPad.

Subdirectory opens normally.

Thank You!!

Latest OneDrive app update seems to have fixed it for me. No uninstalling, reinstalling or other changes needed. Just started working. I assume that a previous version broke an API which has been fixed. Curiously I could copy and paste from iCloud into OneDrive in the files app, but couldn’t view via the Files app. All good now though

@trufflehunter I am having the same exact issue.  I cant access my iOS Files from my iPhone 11 ProMax.  I can access OneDrive from the Finder app on my MacBook Pro, however.  Kinda weird.  

@stevenjeve   Do you know if Microsoft or Apple have acknowledged this issue ? I am still having same problem even with all the recommended changes in the replies . 

Thank you 

I updated my iOS app in the app store. Restarted my iPad and worked well after that
I updated my iPad Pro to iPadOS 14.0 public beta and reboot the device. Everything works fine and I can access all files and folders in Files App now.