Windows Error Reporting Module Registration

Copper Contributor

Hey everyone!

We've been observing some behavior in our application that I wanted to try to dig into a bit. We're using the open source project Crashpad to handle crash reporting for us, and I can see that it attempts to register it's Windows Error Reporting DLL to the registry key mentioned in the documentation

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\RuntimeExceptionHelperModules

The interesting bit is that we're a packaged application so I actually don't see any entries at that registry path, but I do see an entry for the same path but under the HKEY_USERS hive, which would indicate that registry virtualization is indeed working.

The question I have is whether or not WER is smart enough to look into the HKEY_USERS hive for exception handler modules, or if the handlers must be listed in HKEY_CURRENT_USER. I would hope that the WER service can look in all the right places, but the documentation is limited on how WER plays with virtualization and I'm unsure how to verify this on my own.

Thanks!

0 Replies