Staff capacity - Is there an accurate way to see who is busy and who can take on more?

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

I am looking for some guidance and advice for tracking staff work capacity in Teams.

One of our new exec directors needs to see what what capacity each of our staff has to take on more or less work. For example, she’d ideally like to see on a dashboard not only which tasks a staff member has allocated to them but how much of their capacity/time that individual is putting into that task.

Her team currently uses MS Teams and MS Planner to record and collaborate on projects they are working on.  They can all clearly see how many projects each team member is attached to. However, I’m not aware of a way in Planner to note how much time an individual is putting into each project - so the director isn't getting a snapshot of which of her team are fully or over-committed to current projects and who could take on more.

Do you have any ideas on how we could use Planner to show that info and help our director with her capacity planning? Is there maybe another app available in Teams that can plug into or replace that incorporates capacity planning?

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks for your help.

1 Reply

Hi @glennb415 ,

Scheduling and capacity management are best off done in another product. I have seen teams use basic functionality in Excel to track this or you can look at using Microsoft Project Online but that is pretty expensive for a lot of companies.