Shortcut "CMD + `" for switching windows does not work in new Teams (macOS)

Copper Contributor

I used to switch between the main windows of Teams Classic and e.g. a call (separate teams window) by using the "CMD + `" shortcut (german keyboard layout). This is not working with the new teams anymore. Instead it is used to zoom in now.

I liked it because it is the MacOS standard. Is this going to change or is there a workaround/different approach? Thanks a lot in advance. 

18 Replies

Hello @Willi1390,

welcome to the Microsoft community, my name is Recep I'll be happy to help you today.

I understand that CMD + for switching windows does not work in new teams MacOs.

Based on the Microsoft document below, i can see this are known issues which has now been fixed in the new teams
Reference link: Install and prerequisites for the Microsoft new Teams for the Mac - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Lear...

Recep_Gencaslan695_0-1699969421841.png

Kindly ensure that you are currently running on 

• Microsoft Teams (work or school) version 1.6.00.12303 or higher.
  • Also ensure that you are running on macOS Monterey (12) or higher.

Also proceed to un-install teams and install a new team and also clear teams cache and revert with the behavior.

How to clear cache

1. Command + Space and enter Terminal.
  2. rm -rf ~/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.com.microsoft.teams
  3. rm -rf ~/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.teams2

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved

If you like my response, please give it a Like :smile:

Appreciate your Kudos! Proud to contribute! :)

@Deleted 

thx a lot for your answer. Unfortunately, that sounds better than it works, I followed your instructions, still it zooms in, instead of switching the windows... I am running the following version on Microsoft Teams (work or school): 

You have Microsoft Teams version 23285.3806.2513.4535.
You've got the latest version. It was last updated on 13/11/2023.
The client version is 50/23101227712.

Hello@Willi1390 

Thank you very much for your email response, kindly carry out the action plan below and revert with an update.  create a "Automations & Named Other Triggers" for MS Teams specifically that is triggered when "Specific App Did Activate" and selecting MS Teams as the specific app.

Then configure the action "Trigger Menubar Menu-Item" with Command Path to Trigger: Window;(8)
(This tells it to click the 8th in the Menubar under Window)

For testing purposes you can enable the HUD Display temporary so you know if this is being triggered when you are switching to Teams from another app.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved

If you like my response, please give it a Like :smile:

Appreciate your Kudos! Proud to contribute! :)

Thanks a lot for your answer, but I can not work with that advice.. It is a workaround using an extra tool (BetterTouchTool). Am I the only one with that problem? :)

@Willi1390 

The problem still persists on german keyboards. This behaviour is not documented, neither in the shortcut definition of the new teams nor on this website.

The only workaround seems to be to use "Command + Shift + ´" (which result in the US-Keyboards "Command + `").

Same problem here. Switching between windows within the new teams is not working with CMD + > with german keyboard on Mac (Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (23C71), new Teams Version 24033.807.2695.8996 ). It's openening the Settings of Teams but not switching windows.

Same here:
German keyboard, the Mac standard for switching windows CMD-´ zooms in and with one of the latest updates (24033.807.2695.8996) the former standard CMD-< opens the Settings window.

None of these shortcuts are documented. According to documentation (at CMD-.), zoom-in should be CMD-= and open settings CMD-, instead.

Also, there still doesn't seem to be any way to change shortcuts.

Poor. And quite annoying for users accustomed to the MacOS standard shortcuts.

+1
For me it makes the difference between experiencing joy while using Teams – or being annoyed...
#maketeamssmoothagain
similar problem here on German keyboard - instead of switching between Teams windows with "CMD" + "<" (ISO DE Keyboard), the settings menu from teams gets opened. Annoys me 10x a day :)

1+
Same problem. Cannot use "CMD + >" in Teams, though it works in other programs. It is annoying that Teams' settings menu opens instead.

Previously (before OS update and Teams update), this shortcut used to work.

* Teams (work or school) Version 24033.812.2721.9190 (24033.812.2721.9190)

* MacOS 14.3.1 

Same here!

Microsoft: Please work on this asap

Same on swiss german keyboard. Hitting CMD+< opens settings. If I'm in a call and want to switch to the chat window, it's in my muscle memory to use the above keyboard shortcut. Now it opens the settings and it's unbelievably annoying. Please fix this!

Temporary work-around: You can use "cmd + shift + <" (i.e. "cmd + >") to cycle the windows at this stage.

But: "cmd + <" is still the expected behavior and should be fixed asap.

@Kevin_Sandermann 

Same here, and it's driving me nuts. German keyboard layout and "Command + <" opens the settings instead of cycling through the apps windows as one would expect.

Most of the time I really don't care if program specific features are broken; I don't report them and either work around or ignore them. But it's an entirely different story if the program is crippling a key functionality (no pun intended) of the operating system. Already reported it twice and this comment here is another try to rise awareness. In 13 years of using MacOS this never has happened with any other program, not a single time. But then MS comes along, breaks it and completely ignores the problem.

Thank you, @Bierfuizl! You're a life saver! :thumbs_up::D