People keep getting kicked out of Teams meeting chats

Copper Contributor

We constantly reopen meeting links (recurring meetings) and rely on the chat for team communication (even while the meeting is not in progress). Lately, we have had the annoyance of people being kicked out of the meeting/chat. This causes the chat to either go away for them or they can see it but are not allowed to post to it. I theorize that the new breakout rooms feature might be to blame - that Microsoft changed settings to allow this feature to work. And no, we are not using the new feature in these particular meetings/chats. 

2 Replies
Hi!
I don't see anything related to Breakout romms here though. At the end of last year they changed the way the chat membership works. Maybe that's the cause of this:

Who can see the chat for a single meeting?
People who are invited to the meeting or forwarded the meeting invitation after it is scheduled have access to the chat before, during, and after the meeting (up to the 1000-person limit).
People who are added to a meeting after it starts using the Invite someone field on the Participants pane (or are provided the meeting join coordinates in another way) will have access to the chat from the time they join to the time the meeting ends. They will not be able to see chat that takes place after the meeting ends.
Who can see the meeting chat for a recurring meeting series?
People who are invited to the full series have access to the chat before, during, and after the meeting (up to the 1000-person limit).
People who are forwarded the invite of a single occurrence of the series or added to a meeting after it starts using the Invite someone field on the Participants pane (or are provided the meeting coordinates in another way) have access to the chat from the time they join to the time that meeting instance ends. They will not be able to see chat that takes place after the meeting ends.
Note: These changes do not impact channel meetings

Adam

@charleneevans 

I experienced this using MS Teams Breakout rooms. 

As the organizer, I closed breakout sessions to regroup - this automatically brings everyone back into the main meeting session, but also removes them from the breakout session chats - so they no longer had access to view their chat, the notes they created or whiteboards, etc. 

Hoping we can find a solution to avoid automatic removal of participants from these breakout session chats, get this resolved or find a work around in the meantime.