SOLVED

Missed activity in Teams is still being sent even if turned "off"

Brass Contributor

Missed activity in Teams is still being sent even if turned "off".

Issue is present in Teams client and Web.

We started getting them again in our Outlook even if it's been turned "off" for a least 2 years.

18 Replies

@Justin418Users in our tenant were experiencing this issue after the recent failure in the Microsoft Teams notification infrastructure (March 31/April 1). After the solution for the infrastructure issue was applied, users (including myself) started receiving missed activity emails or activity notifications for categories of activities that were turned off. Microsoft suggested signing out of Teams and restarting the computer should fix the issue when we opened a service ticket with them. I had already tried these steps in advance of the response from Microsoft and didn't find that it solved this issue. However, turning the offending category of notification on then signing out of Teams before signing back on and turning it off again seemed to work. Here are the instructions I wrote for users experiencing the same issue:

1. Click on the 3 dots on the top right of Teams beside your profile picture>Settings
  2. Click on the 'Notifications' at the left
  3. Change the setting for 'Missed Activity Emails' from 'Off' to 'As soon as possible'
  4. Click on your profile picture>Sign out and close Teams
  5. Start Teams again>Repeat Steps 1 to 3 above changing the 'Missed Activity Email' setting back off
Note: If you are receiving notifications in your Activity Feed for other activity that you shouldn't be (posts in channels you don't want to follow, likes and reactions to your posts, etc.). You might try turning those on in Step 3 as well before signing out of Teams then turning them back off again in Step 5.

Please note that these steps have not maintained the settings and the issue is still being experienced by users in our tenant, including myself. Apologies that I posted a suggested solution, which was not thoroughly tested. We have a service ticket in with Microsoft, but so far their continued "solution" seems to be signout/restart (spoiler alert: this doesn't work).
I tried these steps but the issue is still present.

Thank you

@Justin418 This happens to me as well. Only recently it started, maybe a few weeks ago. I hate being notified with so many e-mails telling me I missed activity to I have it perpetually turned off. A few weeks ago I now have emails being sent to me saying "Your teammates are trying to reach you in Microsoft Teams..." 

Microsoft, please fix this. I suspect its a bug in some recent release of the software.

@Justin418  Please see my edited response above. Sorry that I don't have a better answer.

Its possible this is unreported bug and Microsoft still working to resolve the issue but I'm curious to know what version of Teams desktop client your company uses, 32 or 64 bit ? Did you try to update Team or switch to a different version and test ?
64 bit some users have 32 but same issue.

@AwsAyad my version is 1.5.00.9163 (64 bit).

@Justin418 interesting, I had few users reporting this with a 64 bit version but issue resolved right after forcing the Team desktop client to update (Check for updates). I personally uses the 32 bit version and I never experienced this issue before. Did you try any workaround to see if this forces Teams to act differently ! maybe set the Missed activity emails to daily or hourly for a week or so then switch back to Off and see how it goes. I honestly can't think of something else right  now but I'm curious to know if you're working with Microsoft on this issue and if they are able to tell you what happened and why and most importantly, how to fix it !

This is my build too except I am using the 32 bit version of the desktop client and I'm not having this issue. see my reply to Justin and how my experience is different between the two builds.

@AwsAyadWe are working with Microsoft on this issue in our tenant. We have an open Technical Support Service Ticket with them. As yet, it has not yielded any additional suggestions other than noted above. I am going to try forcing a check for updates, but I highly doubt this will resolve the issue as my Teams was last updated yesterday (You have Microsoft Teams Version 1.5.00.11163 (64-bit). It was last updated on 2022-04-27).

Your observation about the 32 v. 64 bit version is interesting, but I'm curious why this would have any effect on the actual notifications received. I assume the app is being used to set the value for the notification settings, but that information is stored with the rest of my Teams data in our tenant and used by the Notifications infrastructure to determine whether to generate notification emails for me. The notifications isn't done by the app itself, so it seems strange that the different versions would generate different results. In addition, not all users in our tenant are experiencing it, so it may be the same in your tenant that you as a user aren't experiencing it, but others are unrelated to the app version.

My original suggested solution was to turn On the Notification settings (or change the frequency), sign out of Teams. Though this appeared to work for a day, it did not last and the issue persists.

Glad to know you're working with Microsoft on this, I really hope they can help explain this behavior to us.
To your point, my take on the client build is fairly historic and based on my personal experience working in both builds over the year. I've seen lots of inconsistence behavior between the two builds since we started using Teams ! to name few examples, the 64 bit clients adopted User Presence and start showing the availability icon on the name/profile picture right after enabling this in our environment while the 32 bit clients failed to do so in previous versions, we also noticed the 32 bit works seamlessly with certain third party apps than the 64 bit where we had few reported crashes and the list go on. Again, this is fairly my personal experience with the two builds and how we find things work and behave differently when switching between the 32 & 64 bit desktop client.
I second your analysis on how these notifications should work but I'm assuming the app is going through some sort of a bug and is failing to report the notification settings value back to the tenant, therefore, the notification server in your tenant is simply defaulting to a certain value (hourly, daily or whatever) and is not consider the "Off" value yet.
Please keep us posted to your

@millerblair This has just started happening in our Organization in the last month and has been driving me nuts.  I always had the email notifications turned off and even though they are still off they started randomly appearing in my inbox a few weeks ago. 

Still working with MS on our end as users are still getting the notification. I've turn it on and off again and haven't got the email yet.
best response confirmed by Justin418 (Brass Contributor)
Solution
Resolved with Microsoft support case:

Cause:
====
Issue with the chat service component at golocal regional endpoint.
Seems to have resolved in our tenant as well.

Hi @Justin418 

So, what was the resolution for the notifications?

Thanks

Matthew

@MatthewD2270 It was solved by a MS Case and I don't have move information.

@MatthewD2270 

I think MS just fixed it, we didn't do anything and it stopped happening on it's own. 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Justin418 (Brass Contributor)
Solution
Resolved with Microsoft support case:

Cause:
====
Issue with the chat service component at golocal regional endpoint.

View solution in original post