How to COMPLETELY delete / unistall Teams

Brass Contributor

I have an issue with the New Teams. In the old Teams I had access to a guest account and could easily switch. After updating to New Teams - the account that get shown has a combination of the guest org and my own org. I have no way to switch to the guest account. 

New Teams issue 1.pngThen when I log out I see a list of other accounts I have used in the past. These are not guest accounts but actual login accounts. I don't have access to them anymore and they are not listed as organisations I'm a member of. New Teams issue 2.png
I have uninstalled Teams, deleted cache several time but I can not get everything deleted!
I have created a new windows profile to test and the issue does not appear there. (not the solution I want)

So how do I COMPLETELY DELETE / UNISTALL Teams? I want everything gone from my work profile so I can get a clean install that works.

7 Replies

Hi @BB-PP,

To thoroughly uninstall Microsoft Teams from your Windows profile, follow these steps:

1. Close all active Teams windows and processes.
  2. Open the Windows Settings app.
  3. Click on "Apps & features."
  4. In the search bar at the top, type "Teams."
  5. Select the Microsoft Teams application icon with the purple background.
  6. Click on "Uninstall."
  7. Confirm the uninstallation by clicking "Uninstall" again.
  8. A dialog box will appear, asking for permission to make changes to your device. Click "Yes" to proceed.
  9. Microsoft Teams will be uninstalled from your computer.

Once Teams is uninstalled, you can remove any remaining Teams files by deleting the following folders:

• %appdata%\Microsoft\Teams
  • %localappdata%\Microsoft\Teams

Additionally, you can delete the following registry keys:

• HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Teams
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Teams

To delete a registry key:

1. Open the Registry Editor.
  2. Navigate to the registry key you want to delete.
  3. Right-click on the registry key and select "Delete."
  4. Confirm by clicking "Yes."

After deleting the Teams folders and registry keys, restart your computer to ensure that Teams is completely uninstalled from your Windows profile.

For addressing other accounts showing up in the sign-out screen:

These accounts are likely stored in the Windows Credential Manager. To remove them, follow these steps:

1. Open the Control Panel.
  2. Click on "User Accounts."
  3. Select "Manage your credentials."
  4. In the "Windows Credentials" window, click on the "Windows Credentials" tab.
  5. Locate the credentials associated with the accounts you want to delete and click on them.
  6. Click "Remove."
  7. Confirm by clicking "Yes."

After deleting the credentials, the accounts should no longer appear in the sign-out screen.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue.
This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item.

If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Kindest regards,

Leon Pavesic
(LinkedIn)

@LeonPavesic thank you for the detailed explanation and steps.

I followed everything to uninstall Teams.

In the Windows Credential Manager there are no listings for the extra accounts shown in Teams, so I went and deleted the credentials associated with Teams.

I reinstalled Teams, and unfortunately no luck, both issues are still present.

I went to follow all the steps again to uninstall and noticed on the second round that the registry keys are not present. they have not been added after the re-install.

Windows Credential Manager just shows 2 credentials for Teams, nothing new / different there.

This leads me to believe that the account info is stored somewhere else on my laptop. The question is where?

I have this same issue - Company name shows as an old (now deleted) Guest organization, but contents of the app reflect my proper org. Full uninstall / delete files did nothing, but works OK on a different PC.

@BB-PP 

hi, i have exactly the same problem did you find any fix for it?

//:Erik

@ErikG1970 No unfortunately no solution. Apparently the settings are so deeply rooted I can't get rid of them. I even left the organisation I was quest off to see if I could log in to the new version. This worked. However the minute I re-joined the organisation the problem returned. I've now created a new windows profile since there is no other solution.

If you manage to find a solution please so let us know. 

Hi BB-PP,

I've had similar issue recently and was under the impression Team cache only stores in the below locations:

%appdata%\Microsoft\Teams
%localappdata%\Microsoft\Teams

In order to resolve the issue I needed to remove the Edge & Chrome cache also ( no idea whats stored )

After uninstalling Teams and clearing the cache, also clear Edge & Chrome data:

Chrome locations:
\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cache
\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies
\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Web Data

You can clear Edge by using the below cmd:

RunDll32.exe InetCpl.cpl, ClearMyTracksByProcess 8
#(This part of the command is designed to clear temporary internet files and website files.)
RunDll32.exe InetCpl.cpl, ClearMyTracksByProcess 2
#(This part of the command is designed to clear cookies.)

Then remove any remaining credentials from credential manager and make sure to restart the device before re-installing

Hope this is helpful, worked for me

Deleting almost everything from Windows Credentials (Control Panel -> Credential Manager) was neccessary to solve login/account/tenant issues in Teams and uninstallation in my case. Among others, I removed: virtualapps/didlogical and SSO_POP_Device.