Headsets plays dial tone sound

Bronze Contributor

Hi

Has others notified that when you are having Skype for Business and Microsoft Teams on the same workstation, in some scenarios the headset start playing the dial tone. Microsoft have the following page to describing the issue: Skype for Business plays a dial tone during a Teams call, but at least on our end this issue has been away quite many months, or years even. But suddenly this issue is here again and wondering why..?

Also it looks that those solutions seems to be not help.

26 Replies

@Petri X Same here on at least the versions below, all reports from users of Jabra Headsets (standard headset).

Skype keeps on popping in front, and skype status changes to "in call".

More and more users reporting same issue.

Microsoft Teams 1.6.00.376 Desktop app Microsoft Corporation 

Microsoft Teams 1.5.00.36367 Desktop app Microsoft Corporation 

Implemented method 2 and 3, to no avail.

Skype for Business plays a dial tone during a Teams call - Skype for Business | Microsoft Learn

@Petri X 

Had over 10 users reporting the same issues.

Closing Skype for Business sometimes help, but sometimes it opens itself up automatically again.

I have scrubbed office using SaRA (Instructions HERE) with the command:

./SaRAcmd.exe -S OfficeScrubScenario -AcceptEula -OfficeVersion All

Reinstalling Microsoft Office 365 solved the problem, but one of the users where I applied this already reported the issue to be back, so the solution seems to be only temporary.

As a workaround, I'm disabling the dialer tone and howler with the following steps:

1. Press "Windows"+"R" keys and run "mmsys.cpl"
  2. Go to "Sounds" and find "Skype for Business"
  3. Select and set the sounds for "Dial Tone" and "Howler" to "(none)":
    alesilva_91_0-1675362793772.jpeg
  4. Click "Apply".
  5. Restart Skype for Business.

I hope this is seen and fixed soon though.

Yes! Setting the dial tone and howler sounds to none does not stop Skype from popping every minute. We are getting same issue
same issue also in our org since a few days - must be related to a windows/office update.
we are using s4b onprem and teams in island mode with various jabra headsets (evolve 40/60, evolve2 65, etc)

the only real workaround atm is to disable the HID-compliant headset in Device Manager... of course afterwards you loose the controls with the headset (volume, call pickup, etc...)

there is also a reddit post there:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MicrosoftTeams/comments/10qsr7p/skype_for_business_continuous_dial_tone_aft...
Out of curiosity, does anyone have their USB ports locked down for removable storage devices?

@Jsink1840 

Yep, all locked for mass storage devices.

@Jsink1840 Interesting question. Do you have some insides? :)

we provide to our users now following workaround: teams web version.

the jabra usb dongle show in normal state a violet led (indicates teams is running) which blinks when you have a notification.
now, with the first call/meeting the dongle does not change back to the violet led light, it stays on the green/red light which indicates a ongoing call. and this cause the dial tone in skype for business.

is there a official way to do a rollback of the teams version just for a test, that the latest teams version (released 27.01) is our problem?

there are no usb-blocking policys active on the devices.

we have it blocked however after testing with enabled now, its still an issue. thought possibly related but it is not.
red herring

This is happening to users in our org too. Started within the last 2 weeks. We have a case opened with Microsoft.
Exactly our issue (the Jabra dongle status led). Looks like Teams forgets to ‘put the horn back on the hook’ and Skype detects the horn is of the hook and plays a dialtone.

Must be something with this new interop functionality that has gone wrong.

Post on that feature was now 6 months ago so semi annual is probably now having this new feature.

@Petri X 

Mine isn't doing that anymore. Seems that Microsoft released a new version of Teams last week.

My current version is 1.6.00.1381.
alesilva_91_0-1675674037883.jpeg

But even on Microsoft's version history and Release Notes, it's not documented yet. This makes me think it was an urgent bug-fix patched and deployed in a hurry.

The documentation says that the Jan 27 version is still being rolled out (which about matches the time I started receiving more and more complaints):
alesilva_91_1-1675674037884.jpeg

I hope that updating teams and rebooting will work going forward. (just click on the 3 dots and check for updates on Teams)

yes, it's also somehow fixed on my machine since a few minutes. (by itself...)

so it seems they rolled out a fix - in the morning it was still broken.

we try now to get a feedback from our users if the issue still persist.

@alesilva_91
we are still stuck at 1.6.00.376 x64 which was updated on 1/31. tried manually checking for update but no change.

@alesilva_91 

Good to hear. I can see that our tenant has started to receive updates to that version (1.6.00.1381) in begin of February. So let see how that goes with users.

@Karl_Havoc 

Any help from the support case?

I hope Microsoft makes the latest version more widely available soon.
At least there seems to be an end to this in sight for the near future.

All of the complaints I received today were fixed by manually checking, so I'd keep on trying, if I were you.

Looks like the version 1.6.00.1381 is fixing the issues, but unfortunately it seems to have cost as well. Now the headset status (mute/unmute) are not visible on Teams client. Perhaps they remove the support for EnableTeamsHIDInterop on these versions. Unfortunately Microsoft seems to be not too transparent to share what is ongoing there.

edit:

If you have access, see the Admin Center announcement:

TM510646: Teams Islands mode users also running an on-premises Skype for Business client hear a persistent dial tone in calls
Hi everybody,
Is there any recommendation for clients having issue like mentioned in TM510646?
Does version 1.6.00.1381 really fix the issue?
I'm still waiting for an answer from MS to an open ticket about this....