Camera Freezing - possibly after an update.

Copper Contributor

Since a couple of days, using Microsoft Teams Version 1.6.00.4472 (64-bit), my camera randomly but constantly freeze. Windows version is 10.0.19044 Build 19044.

I use a Sony a7s connected to an Elgato Camlink 4K on an AMD Ryzen System with Windows 10 and this has worked flawlessly for several years, which makes me believe that some recent update has caused this. (I have several colleagues experiencing this too) 

For audio, I use a Rode Podcaster + regular speakers.

- So far I've tried updating all the drivers for Elgato and so on.

- I've reinstalled Teams (and made sure ALL Teams caches were deleted after uninstalling)

Anything else one can try, this makes meetings and product demos etc look very unprofessional.  

Thanks for any input.

50 Replies

Same here on an Ryzen Lenovo Yoga 6, made sure i had the latest version you mentioned. Camera just freezes on teams. Have had the camera app open for hours no issue, so it is a teams issue. @Mhagelst 

@Mhagelst too early to tell here on this update.  At least its not crashing my system, but it did break the icon in my taskbar... minor issue.  What's really funny is that I set alerts on this to email me when someone replies to this thread and Microsoft's spam filter blocked this message that was sent from Microsoft.... Not doing too good this year Microsoft... :>(

Just been working with Microsoft laptop support... They suggested replacing the laptops.... suppose that's an easy fix...

Has anyone gotten any updates on this issue?  We have an open case with Microsoft that has not generated any useful updates.  We continue to experience this issue primarily on Surface laptops with AMD processors but it does not seem necessarily specific to that combination.

@efraim472 I haven't heard any updates... 

Anybody got update about it? Already a month ago, nothing has been done, people are getting upset with this issue...

@JHFR29 I'm beyond frustrated and it has caused other issues too.  As far as I know MS is doing nothing about it, but I'm not sure if they review this forum or how they generate a ticket. 

Same issue here: Camera freezing with Teams since last Teams update
- Camera: Streamplify CAM
- Teams version 1.6.00.6754, updated 29.3.2023
- Motherboard: ASUSTeK TUF GAMING Z690
- Processor: Intel Core i7-13700KF
- Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090

@LSnavely For anyone impacted, updating to the preview version of Microsoft Teams has solved the problem in our organization. 

Nothing else thus far worked (driver update, Power configuration, etc).

@AlbertGnet Thanks for sharing.

Could you advise the process you did to fix this issue?

Thanks

Nothing has worked for me thus far.
Just try this yesterday thanks to https://www.it-connect.fr/comment-installer-le-nouveau-teams-sur-windows/

Will tell if it works in the "long term"

Thanks !

@liamwbc 
Hi Liam,

Go to the teams admin center and create a new Teams update policy. You can choose whether to force preview version or let the users decide. I went with the latter

Asign the selected users that policy (under users management in Teams admin center)

Make the user switch to new teams (the button appears almost immediately in the top left corner in Teams).

Hope it makes sense.

We found a fix for this issue.  We disabled GPU acceleration in Teams (under settings.)  We've tested this with five users who had this issue occur constantly and since applying this setting change have not had any issues with their camera on Teams calls.

@EricMillerDC_USA 

You have the solution.  We tested it and it worked.

Thanks Eric! I just changed that setting and exited and relaunched Teams. I'll see if it works on my next Teams meeting...
I've tried this (turning off GPU) - sadly makes no difference in my case. If I use a simple low res Logitech Webcam it works better (compared to using the Elgato / DSLR setup), but that won't change the the fact that my DSLR setup worked fine for 2 years... :(
We are experiencing the same in our organization; we primarily use HP 845 G7/G8/G9 AMD-based laptops. The issue started for us on version 1.6.00.4472 as noted in OP's post. We've created a ticket with Microsoft, who have told us that we are the only ones reporting issues, which obviously isn't true with as many posts as there are here of others with the exact same issue. We are seeing the following issues (all completely random, with no way to reproduce on command), either just one issue, or sometimes multiple occurring at once to a user:
- User's video freezes for everyone (including them)
- User's video preview in the lower right appears pixelated to them, but fine to others
- User's video appears black for everyone in the meeting
- User clicks "leave meeting", but it just says "Leaving..." and doesn't end until it either crashes or is force closed

We have had the "Disable GPU acceleration." checked ever since we started using Teams, and that doesn't help. However, like JHFR29 posted, I have been testing the new Teams "2.0" client for a few weeks now, and I haven't had any of these issues occur to me since then. We are going to try getting a few more users to test and see if it works, but I'd recommend others trying it here so we can see if it works for others. The link @JHFR29 posted was in French, so here's the Microsoft article about the new client and how to enable: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/new-teams-desktop-admin?tabs=teams-admin-center

If any of the rest of you are any sort of IT admin at your location, have you opened a ticket with Microsoft around this issue? The more tickets the better...
Also just realized that @AlbertGnet mentioned this fix as well (new Teams 2.0 client); apologies, but I missed the second post and thought it was just the preview build of regular Teams, which did NOT solve the issue for me. I specifically had to additionally enable the new Teams client, as noted (and hopefully we'll have a few more test subjects soon for this).

@Michael_Stewart 

(I am sys admin yes.)
Man!  Open a ticket to Microsoft?  
Give me your secret path (URL?) to open a ticket to Microsoft "for free/for a non-server system/non subscription service" and I will open as many tickets you want!   :happyface:

Cheers!