SOLVED

Camera freezes in Teams

This thread has been locked for new comments by a moderator, if you have a new similar issue then please start a new thread.
Brass Contributor

Hi,

I've had around 6/7 users contact me regarding their camera freezing when doing a video call on Teams. During the ringing stage the camera works fine but as soon as the person they are ringing  joins, the user's camera then freezes. You can hear them fine but the camera is just frozen.  The person's camera they have called works fine though and doesn't freeze.

I have tried uninstalling the in built camera & driver on the laptop & then re-installing, this has worked on a few occasions but then the users report it has frozen again. I have also tried uninstalling Teams & re-installing but this hasn't resolved the issue either. I've checked for any driver updates relating to the camera but it's all up to date.

I'm not too sure what is causing the issue as it's not happening to every user, only a handful. They are all using the same laptop make & model - HP Elitebook 840 G3.

Does anyone have any other ideas to try and fix this issue?

62 Replies

@Christian_Stokes This solution I found works for me. Hallelujah!

Tweak Windows registry

Here is another effective way to fix Windows 10 Webcam freezes problem

• Press Windows + R, type regedit and ok to open the windows registry editor.
  • Backup registry Database, Then navigate to the following key.
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Media Foundation\Platform
  • just right-click inside the right pane and select New>DWORD (32-bit) value.
  • Name the new value ‘EnableFrameServerMode’ and make sure its value is set to ‘0’.
  • Next, navigate to the following location in the registry and create a new DWORD value.
  • Create new DWORD (32-bit) value, name this ‘EnableFrameServerMode’ and make sure its value is set to ‘0’.
  • That’s all, close registry editor, and restart windows to take effect the change.
  • Let’s open webcam and check its working smoothly.

source: https://windows101tricks.com/webcam-freezes-windows-10/ 

Hi, I have the same issues with X395 and windows 10 ver 1909.

I tested the following:

• Updated all drivers with lenovo system update
  • updated docking usb c gen 2 drivers
  • tested alternative video display drivers (adrenaline drivers by radeon vega 8)
  • Tested .reg di disable FrameServerMode

Next days I will test win10 ver 2004

I still experience camera freezes when I share desktop with microsoft teams.

I suspect it is something related to interaction of TEAMS with video driver as when it happens I get a blank screen for a second like when the monitor resync if you change video resolution.

Changing the reg worked for me.

1) Open MS Teams settings and go to devices

2) If the Camera preview is working normally it may be another issue. If it freezes also please go to Step 3

3) Open Regedit

4) go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Media Foundation\Platform

5) Right click Platform and click export This will create a backup

6) Right click and click REG_DWORD 32 bit

7) Enter EnableFrameServerMode Press Enter

8) Open the EnableFrameServerMode object by double-clicking

9) Make sure the data is set to 0

10) Reboot the system (This sometimes does not need to be done)

11) Open the Teams Settings and test the video preview if its working let the user test a video call

Also try this

1) Close Teams from the system tray
2) Click start
2) Type Teams
3) Right click > Run As Administrator
4) login
5) Close Teams from the system tray
6) Open teams normally

@James_Coates would you have a solution for Mac users?

@Maglez 

You can try the following

Disable Hardware Acceleration from Teams app > Settings > General

@Christian_Stokes 

That's fixed it:-)   Creating the new registry key through regedit sorted the issue with a work colleague's laptop where the camera (and separate USB camera) was freezing in Teams and Zoom.  Many thanks.

@Christian_Stokes 

Hi,

I have freeze problem on external UVC device attached to a notebook, built-in camera works well without any problem.

Thanks to forum, many great suggestions. But sadly the registry tweak not work for me.

After some registry tweak tests, this registry tweak solved my problem.

Here is how I fix my UVC device freeze problem (occurred in Camera App, Microsoft Teams, Skype).

• Press Windows + R, type regedit and ok to open the windows registry editor.
  • Navigate to the this key. 
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Media Foundation\HardwareMFT\EnableDecoders
    Double-clicks and modify REG_DWORD value to "0".
  • Close registry editor, and restart windows to take effect the change.

Hope this help.

FNKC

@fnkc Thank you for the suggestion. I had this issue come up on another machine last week and this helped. 

The only difference I am aware of with this machine, is this user is on a domain account. Could this make a difference when making changes in registry?

@tstretch 

Switch your computer out of 'S' mode.

Then apply the registry change.

;)

this worked for me thanks@Christian_Stokes 

@Christian_Stokes 

This issue can be resolved in Command Line using an elevated command. Launch CMD as administrator and then type the following command:

chkdsk /f/r

and then it will tell you that it will need to run at the next boot and want to know if that is okay. Say Y

then restart the machine. 

Before doing, it is best to ensure you have your machine up to date with windows and system updates, depending on the type of device you are using, just to ensure drivers are updates, etc. But the chkdsk /f /r command will fix the issue for you.

Once you restart the machine, be patient, it's going to look like a command line screen and/or will have some copy along the bottom of your screen for a bit as it's cycling through all the file directories, RegEdit, etc. it can take 20- to over an hour to complete depending on your system

@fnkc 
We have deployed about 700 Users with Teams and most of them have the Issue with camera freezing.
So your Registry does the trick. 
Everyone of my Users are now happy.
Why does Microsoft intruduce an Decoding Engine for Default, so that the gpu doesn't do it?

Maja Kaczmarska

What worked for me was that I logged into the local admin account and uninstalled the HP webcam driver from device manager. Restarted the laptop and then the webcam did not freeze in teams anymore.
Yes, in all my cases UNINSTALLING and INSTALLING web camera, worked !
The registry hack did not work for me.

Registry change worked for me

@Shamejais 

super easy fix

This issue can be resolved in Command Line using an elevated command. Launch CMD as administrator and then type the following command:

chkdsk /f/r

and then it will tell you that it will need to run at the next boot and want to know if that is okay. Say Y

then restart the machine and let it run its system checks and processes. be patient.

Yup this worked. Thank you