any way to add guests to org-wide team

Copper Contributor

Just double checking something.

I know https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/create-an-org-wide-team states:

These types of accounts won't be added to your org-wide team:

• Accounts that are blocked from sign in
  • Guest users
  • Service accounts
  • Room or equipment accounts
  • Accounts backed by a shared mailbox

But then the doc also states an existing team can be converted to an org-wide team, but a normal Team can have guests.

So, has anyone created an org-wide team that includes guests?

I'm part of a small dog/cat rescue and want to try and move volunteers to communicate in Teams instead of facebook.  While some of our volunteers with official positions within the org have O365 accounts with us, some volunteers (such as foster homes) do not and really don't need them  So, it would be awesome to have the org-wide team and the benefit of how it adds/removes users, IF it also allowed Guest Users.

1 Reply
Hi @gluraDITR,

As you have written from the official documentation on docs.com, guests are not added to an org-wide team - a team for the members of the organisation only and not guests which are not part it. AFAIK, I have never come across a case where they have been permitted.

In conversions most I work all have typically removed the guests prior to the conversion or didn't have them. If they did then I would guess it would either block the conversion or the guests get stripped out.

So my advice here would be to keep a standard team with guests in.

Hope that answers your question!

Best, Chris