SOLVED

Add an EVENT to Channel Calendar

Brass Contributor

Hi,

Can someone tell me how to add an Event to the CHANNEL calendar?

I have easily added the Channel Calendar app as a tab to the Channel.

This opens my week view, with the option to + Add new event.

If I select this, it immediately opens New meeting.

I do not want to invite people,  I want an event that everyone can see in the calendar.  I also want to be able to categorise different events with colour, being a basic EVENT function.

Surely MS have not implemented a calendar in which you can only have meetings?  Am I missing something basic?

Many thanks

25 Replies

@ChristianBergstrom  best response has a link that provides an error. I am looking for the ability to have a teams channel calendar that would allow events that DO NOT invite members of the teams channel. Example conference and event tracking that is for organizational awareness, but NOT placed on members calendars. 

@ChrizK As you have stated in other posts, Teams channels pull from several different MS products, including SharePoint.  You can add a Calendar to the SharePoint folder (same name as the Teams channel) and you can schedule events without making a meeting.  Problem is not many people use the SharePoint site of 'Teams'

LeiaG_0-1691095832122.png

@ChrizK I have been forever intrigued as to why the Channel Calendar Teams app doesn't allow creation of non-meeting based events. 

It looks like the Channel Calendar app will be looking inside the Group Calendar's list of events, and for every event that exists, it will then look for a particular property called joinUrl that won't exist at all if you create a Group Calendar event via Outlook or the relevant Power Automate action. It then filters it based on the joinUrl (using the Channel ID that is buried within the property).

My other post here contains a bit more of an explanation.

Which means: in its current implementation, we won't be able to create a non-meeting event for a Channel as the filtering per channel calendar is based on the joinUrl property.  However, what is a bit silly is that the usual Group Calendar colour categories can't be customised either, rendering that feature to be practically useless as well.

z3019494_0-1696663985861.png

That should also explain why the Group Calendar (when viewed in Outlook or SharePoint as a Group Calendar web part) also contains all Channel meetings but not the other way around.

@ChrizK Did anyone ever find a resolution to this? I have the same issue, want to just create a calendar of upcoming events, awareness days etc and colour code them, but I'm only being given the option to create a meeting, not an event. We used to have a calendar on a teams channel in the past where this was possible, but that channel has been deleted.

@niamhb1430 Sorry, I don't think Microsoft really take much notice of the community.  You are often directed to raise a feature request, in the hope that enough people have the same requirement and up-vote you.

It makes sense to evaluate some bespoke ideas, but in my opinion, it is just a lazy way of not accepting product ownership and responsibility.

This particular feature is so obvious, it doesn't need evaluating, as it should be core/fundamental.  Shame nobody at MS has any pride in their products to make them better (or the organisation does not empower them).

Interesting stuff, relating to the 'meta data' I was pondering back in April 2021 ...a little sad that this (basic) feature has been discussed for sooooooo long :(