Unable to use "callto:" to initiate a call in new Teams

Copper Contributor

We used to be able to run the command "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\WindowsApps\ms-teams.exe callto:email address removed for privacy reasons" to initiate a call in the classic version of Teams, but since upgrading to the new Teams client we get "Sorry, we're unable to complete the call."

reynausc_0-1702498721827.png

I've tested the command with a phone number "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\WindowsApps\ms-teams.exe callto:3059999999" and confirmed this still works and will prompt me in Teams if I'd like to call this number, it just doesn't find the person when using their email:

reynausc_1-1702498721828.png

I found the following Q&A post callto: working in Teams - Microsoft Q&A where Microsoft stated "external deep link like callto: are not supported" but using a deeplink like the example in Deep link to start an audio-video call with users, launches the browser first before redirecting to Teams, which is the behavior we are hoping to avoid.

We can still use the classic Teams for now but considering it will be replaced with the new Teams by March 31, 2024, we wanted to get confirmation if callto: will not be supported in the new Teams. If it's no longer supported, how can we initiate a call in Teams from a command without launching the browser first?

3 Replies

Hi @reynausc

were you able to resolve this? We are facing the same issue with a third party program where we used to be able to use click to call in teams as well. 

Hello @MarouanRhandor, we escalated this issue to Microsoft in a support ticket and this was the feedback we received.

"This issue has been replicated on Microsoft's end and is getting worked on by the MS Product Group. This should be ready by the time new Teams is officially released on April 1st. The CallTo is still mapping to the old teams, but should be working by then."

@reynausc have you had any further updates from Microsoft on this issue? Thanks