SOLVED

Preview exited, now GA: PowerPoint Presenter View in Teams

Microsoft

Description

Wish you could get some extra help behind the scenes while presenting in a Teams meeting? Check out our new Presenter View! Once you select a PowerPoint file from the Teams Share Tray, Presenter View is opened automatically. You can see the current slide, the slide notes, and a thumbnail strip of all the slides in the deck for easy ad-hoc slide navigation.

presenter view NEW.png

This view is completely behind the scenes. It’s private to the presenter in control. Your audience can only see your current slide (highlighted in the big red box), or the slide that they choose to navigate to (if audience navigation is not locked by you).

If you have a co-presenter for the meeting, when that person clicks “Take Control”, Presenter View will be opened for him or her immediately, while you’ll be switched to the normal audience view without the slide notes and the thumbnail strip.

Flighting status

Completed, fully available in R3.6.

How to enable

No setup needed. This is a view private to the presenter in control. Once the feature is available to you, you will see it if sharing a PowerPoint during a Teams meeting. Under Share tray > PowerPoint, choose a file and you will see the slide notes and the thumbnails of all of the slides.

Note: If you need information about enabling the public preview itself, see “Enable the public preview for Teams” below.

Microsoft 365 workloads and dependencies

Product, workload, or area

Dependency (Yes/No)

If yes, version requirements and other dependencies

Exchange

No

Sharepoint, files

No

Skype for Business

No

Outlook add-in

No

Azure AD

No

OneDrive

No

Office

No

Supported clients and platforms

Windows 10

macOS

iOS

Android

Linux

Chrome

Firefox

Safari

Edge

Internet Explorer

Yes

Yes

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Known issues

• Control Bar: if the navigation buttons on the Teams U-bar disappears during your sharing, you'll have to leave the meeting and rejoin.
  • High Contrast theme: Presenter View UI may not update to high contrast mode, if you change Teams theme to High Contrast during an ongoing sharing session.

Known limitations

• Only available in the “new meeting experience” at the moment (Teams Settings > General > Application)
  • Not available in Teams web app yet

Enable your Teams client for the public preview 

1. First, IT admins need to set an update policy that turns on Show preview features. Learn how at Public preview in Microsoft Teams - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Docs.  
  2. Users then choose to join the public preview individually. See Get early access to new Teams features - Office Support (microsoft.com) for instructions. 

Summary of public preview features

For a history of features in the Office and Teams public previews, see Release Notes Current Channel (Preview) - Office release notes | Microsoft Docs.

Send us your feedback 

Got feedback on features in the public preview or other areas of Teams? Let us know straight from Teams via Help Give feedback 

Thank you,

Preview Team @Emily Kirby 

Quality & Customer Obsession, Microsoft Teams

66 Replies

I'm not seeing notes or thumbnail slides - I've just checked my status and it says DEVELOPER, will it work?

@Emily Kirby 

I am happy to report that users in my tenant, including myself, now have an option to show or hide presenter view when sharing a presentation. The setting appears below the presented slide in a menu within the ellipsis.

Thank you for listening to the community and actioning this!

@Tony Stevens I agree though for a slightly different reason.  If am collaborating with my Team on a presentation the last thing I need to presenter view as I would like to be able to edit the slides that we are discussing.  There should be some way of disabling this feature.  At present I have to stop sharing edit a point and then re-share the updated version and the whole process is ungainly.

Regards,

Mike Wooldridge

Thanks Tony. I saw this but no I have a larger 15” plus I have a larger monitor and still the same result.

Is there a way to disable this feature for a presentation? I don't use notes and would prefer to see the full screen. The option is nice, but can we turn it off? Thanks!

Seriously? There’s at least three replies in this thread explaining how to disable it. It’s only a few clicks away my man.

@Emily Kirby  In my case, as I said in a previous comment, this feature seems to be disabled (by default?) and since yesterday I am unable to re-enable it by using the Ctrl+Shift+X shortcut -- although it seemed to work the day before.

Since, as I have explained earlier, I find it very useful in some cases (in a teaching situation), and although my screen might be small, I would really like to have the option to enable/disable this feature at will. 

Does anyone else have the same issue? Is it a global change or something was altered by the IT dept / admin on my organization's end? 

Did you click on the slide area before hitting the shortcut? Also, this feature is only available on desktop client. Let me know, thanks!

@Emily Kirby Thank you very much for your reply. As of today, I am glad to say that I can see and use the new menu for controlling the Presenter view, Enabling/disabling this feature is very helpful (esp. for teaching), as is the option to "go to" a particular slide at will. Thanx for that. Microsoft just made mine and my students' experience a lot better. 

Is MSFT going to provide the presentation tool in near feature?
I continue to be amazed as how many times I miss the ... features hidden in the interface. I like that you can toggle and I like the hotkey option (had other applications that had grabbed the same hotkey). One issue I have noticed with Teams PowerPoint is that you can not click thru the videos which is set to start onclick (or maybe we are clicking too fast) in order to start a video serviced via Share from PowerPoint/OneDrive in Teams. Or am I missing something?

In our company when executives "present" they don't actually run their presentation/Share their screen it is often done by their admin or another person. Is there a way to include another person in this view beyond the actual presenter so that they would still have the benefit of seeing the view & notes? 

Please add the ability to switch back to the old view on a per presentation basis. Some of my classes are mixed-mode and I was putting my teams window on the projector for the in person students to see as well as the online students being able to see through teams. But I can't do that anymore as the slide is too small.

I used be able to zoom into an area in a slide if I was sharing the PowerPoint application in sharing mode using the control key and scroll wheel . This was useful if there was detail on the page that may be hard to read. This does not seem possible with PowerPoint sharing. Is there an option to do this? I would also welcome the laser pointer
I wholeheartedly agree with the laser pointer and other tools you get with the presenter view of PowerPoint itself.
I used this view for the first time yesterday and it was great, HOWEVER, the slides didn't appear in the recording. Has anyone else experienced this?
I had this happen yesterday too. I hadn’t connected it to presenterview until I saw your post, but that makes sense.
Thanks for the validation @imunck. I did a lot of testing after the shock of the fail (a briefing for 100+ managers across my organisation!) and slides were definitely not appearing in a recording when I used presenter view but would appear if I shared the presentation window. I asked about this at a Microsoft webinar today but they couldn't give me an answer. I won't be using it again until I can trust the full functionality.
I just tested this out and recorded a meeting using presenter view and the slides were recorded