There's a problem loading the video

Copper Contributor

I have a number of staff getting an error message playing back Stream (on SharePoint) video content in Chrome browser, it works fine in Edge. 

The error that pops up is There's a problem loading the video. 

Something might be outdated or not supported. Please try again.

Try again, and report an issue are the two options below. 

If staff try again multiple times, the error persists. If staff use an InCognito window, the video will playback fine so it looks like a cache issue, we tried to clear the entire browser's cache, but the error persists. 

This was our first attempt at mass playback with Stream (on SharePoint) and sadly didn't go over very well. My skepticism is leading me to believe this is a playback at scale issue, and Edge simply took precedence over other browsers playing it back. Has anyone else experienced this and have any insight to share? 

2 Replies

Quick update - the problem seems to be related to permissions on the sub-folder, permission was set to Restricted View which doesn't allow for downloading, once I applied the Read permissions that allows downloading, the video played back fine in Chrome browsers. The restricted view permissions settings didn't affect play back in Edge, only Chrome so there must be some downloading required for Chrome versus Edge. 

@KyleVB - If you want to open up a support ticket and reproduce the problem or even send the support person the source video, we could have playback engineers investigate more and determine why this happened.

If you have block download set videos should continue to play fine, but it seems like something weird with that specific video. If block download is set permission wise we force playback to be adaptive from our streaming server. But if block download is not set, our player changes based on some logic if it does adaptive or progressive playback. Progressive playback requires download.

So my guess is that it could be an audio or video codec that we can't play via our streaming end point. For example we aren't yet licensed to play some AC3 Dolby audio formats.