SOLVED

Trouble install mobileApp of type win32 on device using intune APIs

Copper Contributor

I'm working on integrating my company's portal with Intune APIs to manage application installations. I've successfully retrieved a list of applications from our company portal using the following API call: deviceappmanagement/mobileApps?$filter=(isof(%27microsoft.graph.win32LobApp%27))

I've set up the necessary app registration and permissions, and I can confirm that I'm able to retrieve the list of applications using Postman. However, I'm facing an issue when attempting to install one of these applications using its app ID. Despite thorough searching, I couldn't find any documentation or resources on how to proceed with the installation.

Is there a specific method or API endpoint I should be using to initiate the installation of an application retrieved through the Intune APIs?

2 Replies
best response confirmed by shambari (Copper Contributor)
Solution

There is no install command for apps using the Graph API. This is also not the way applications are 'installed' from Intune. Apps are distributed using assignments. So when you assign an app to a group the installation will occur as long as the user or device is member of the group. 

You can use the IntuneWin32App module and assign an Entra group to a Win32 app using the script add-IntuneWin32AppAssignmentGroup 

------

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue.

This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item.

If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@shambari

thanks sebastiann for your quick reponse, so there as you say there is non way to download the app of windows using intune APIs.

because for me when i receive application windows using this api : /deviceAppmanagement/mobileApp/{id} this is the json that i receive :

{
"@odata.type": "#microsoft.graph.win32LobApp",
"id": "",
"displayName": "3D Symbol Desinger",
"description": "3D SymbolDesigner.",
"publisher": "Caxperts",
"largeIcon": null,
"createdDateTime": "2023-11-07T15:02:14.2501684Z",
"lastModifiedDateTime": "2023-11-07T15:02:14.2501684Z",
"isFeatured": false,
"privacyInformationUrl": "",
"informationUrl": null,
"owner": "",
"developer": "",
"notes": "",
"publishingState": "published",
"committedContentVersion": "1",
"fileName": "Install.intunewin",
"size": 72453872,
"installCommandLine": "Install.bat",
"uninstallCommandLine": "Uninstall.bat",
"applicableArchitectures": "x64",
"minimumFreeDiskSpaceInMB": null,
"minimumMemoryInMB": null,
"minimumNumberOfProcessors": null,
"minimumCpuSpeedInMHz": null,
"msiInformation": null,
"setupFilePath": "Install.bat",
"minimumSupportedWindowsRelease": "1803",
"rules": [
{
"@odata.type": "#microsoft.graph.win32LobAppProductCodeRule",
"ruleType": "detection",
"productCode": "{38877330-ECE0-4781-B77D-3491908CD1CC}",
"productVersionOperator": "notConfigured",
"productVersion": null
}
],
"installExperience": {
"runAsAccount": "system",
"deviceRestartBehavior": "allow"
},
"returnCodes": [
{
"returnCode": 0,
"type": "success"
},
{
"returnCode": 1707,
"type": "success"
},
{
"returnCode": 3010,
"type": "softReboot"
},
{
"returnCode": 1641,
"type": "hardReboot"
},
{
"returnCode": 1618,
"type": "retry"
}
]
},

so there is non exe file that i can execute or any way to use any script to install this app without get using company portal to install it ?
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by shambari (Copper Contributor)
Solution

There is no install command for apps using the Graph API. This is also not the way applications are 'installed' from Intune. Apps are distributed using assignments. So when you assign an app to a group the installation will occur as long as the user or device is member of the group. 

You can use the IntuneWin32App module and assign an Entra group to a Win32 app using the script add-IntuneWin32AppAssignmentGroup 

------

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue.

This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item.

If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@shambari

View solution in original post