SOLVED

Unable to login to MS Defender on iOS

MVP

I have an iPhone (latest software version) connected to an M365 tenant (i.e. licensed for Defender). Recently, the MS Defender app on the device won't login using my Azure AD credentials. It displays the account, allows me to select it, says "Getting ready", spins, and then asked me to buy a subscription. I also have an iPad mini and everything there works fine (aka same tenant, same user).

i have uninstalled Defender app, reinstalled. I have synced my device settings using Company portal and that is fine.

Any suggestions on what to try next?

3 Replies

@Robert Crane 

I have the same issue on my iPhone. 

did you ever get a solution?

Rohan

Not yet. Is your phone in 'Lockdown' mode? Mine is and maybe that has an impact? I have the same issues on a iPad and that isn't in 'Lockdown' mode so I don't think it is that but as yet I have no answer no matter whom I have tried.
best response confirmed by Robert Crane (MVP)
Solution
An update on this. I traced it to be somewhat dependent on having a Microsoft account and an EntraID account being the same (i.e. personal and corporate accounts on one email). This seemed to manifest itself when I had both the personal and corporate app also in my MS authenticator on my iDevice.

However, of late I have not seen these issues, which may also indicate an update in the actual Defender App overtime has also solved this issue. So, whatever happened, my issues are no longer present.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Robert Crane (MVP)
Solution
An update on this. I traced it to be somewhat dependent on having a Microsoft account and an EntraID account being the same (i.e. personal and corporate accounts on one email). This seemed to manifest itself when I had both the personal and corporate app also in my MS authenticator on my iDevice.

However, of late I have not seen these issues, which may also indicate an update in the actual Defender App overtime has also solved this issue. So, whatever happened, my issues are no longer present.

View solution in original post