Onboarding 2019 Hyper-V

Copper Contributor
Our organization has started installing 2019 Hyper-V (Build 10.0.17763). It looks like 2019 Core, but behaves differently when onboarding to WDATP. Here is my issue. I use the onboarding script like I have done on our other 2019 servers, but fails to Onboard because there is no SENSE service. I verified in Windows features that Defender was installed and the windefend service was running. I tried re-installing the feature, and verified everything was installed. The Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection Service (SENSE) was still missing. It was there on my other core machines, but the 2019 Hyper V OS was not. I cannot seem to onboard without this service. So I then tried just Installing the Microsoft Monitoring Agent, but of course I get a healthservice error saying it was incompatible with 2019. All other OS's in our environment are fine, 2012R2, 2016, 2019 standard and core. Is there a different process to Onboard 2019 Hyper-V OS. We currently have two of these in our environment, and I am sure we will have more coming soon.
11 Replies

Hi, appreciate this is an old post but wondered if you ever got any answers? Not much around the web on this scenario!

I am in the same position of trying to onboard hyper-v 2019 servers and assume they are not supported due to the lack of info!?

Thank you

Hi Kelly,
1. Do you observe any error while on-boarding?
2. Please let us know if you have tried all the steps mentioned in the article - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/security/defender-endpoint/troubleshoot-onboarding?vi...

Thanks,
Balaji R

I can't seem to find anything stating Hyper-V 2019 is supported or not for Defender for Endpoint. I do not see the sense service installed. When running the onboarding script, our output is below.

Just wondering if you ever got this to work.

This script is for onboarding machines to the Microsoft Defender for Endpoint services, including security and compliance products.
Once completed, the machine should light up in the portal within 5-30 minutes, depending on this machine's Internet connectivity availability and machine power state (plugged in vs. battery powered).
IMPORTANT: This script is optimized for onboarding a single machine and should not be used for large scale deployment.
For more information on large scale deployment, please consult the MDE documentation (links available in the MDE portal under the endpoint onboarding section).

Press (Y) to confirm and continue or (N) to cancel and exit: Y

Starting Microsoft Defender for Endpoint onboarding process...

Testing administrator privileges
Script is running with sufficient privileges

Performing onboarding operations

Starting the service, if not already running

Microsoft Defender for Endpoint Service has not started yet
Waiting for the service to start

[Error Id: 15, Error Level: 1] Unable to start Microsoft Defender for Endpoint Service. Error message: The service name is invalid.
For more information, visit: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?linkid=822807

Press any key to continue . . .

The documentation still does not specify whether Defender for Endpoint is supported on Hyper-V hosts. Would be great to know if anyone has made this work.

@Kelly360 

Any updates on Hyper-V Core Server 2019 support for MDE Onboarding?

Thanks and regards

I'm also unable to onboard on Hyper-V Core Server 2019
Same here, we have 4 servers unable to onboard, all Hyper-V Server 2019 Core.
Running "sc query sense" confirms that the service is not installed on the server.

Anyone from MS reading this care to confirm if this scenario is supported or not?

@Kelly360 
The "note" in the MS documentation here states that Hyper-V is not supported.

~m

@surferstylee thanks so much for the update. I guess that puts the issue to bed once and for all although its disappointing to see that Hyper-V servers cannot be protected.

@Alex Lush 
Let me clarify (or complicate) the issue a bit more by saying that the "note" is referring specifically to Hyper-V Server Editions and not servers that are running the Hyper-V service itself.

~m

Yes, understood. That being the case it would have been sensible to put the note at the top of the article below the 'Applies to' section.