The new Outlook search in the title bar is disconnected from the content it searches

Steel Contributor

I appreciate the benefits of Microsoft Search in the Office apps but I'm getting feedback form multiple people that having the search in the title bar is unhelpful because they need to use the title bar for dragging the window around. In Outlook in particular, having the search box so far away from the content that you're searching is jarring. I understand the value of consistency, but I think that the utility of putting search with the content it searches overrides being consistent at all costs. Can we have an option to move the search box back down to the content in Outlook, and perhaps not to have it in title bars at all?

222 Replies

@Mary Branscombe 

I have read through this post.  I agree with all comments that the new search bar is awful.  It only first showed up on my computer this past Friday (May 9, 2020).  This post has two suggestions on how to get rid of it:  (1) turn off "coming soon"; and (2) turn off "Enable optional connected experiences" in Privacy Settings.  I do not have a "coming soon" button and my understanding is that this is pretty typical of the current version of Microsoft 365 for business.  I tried the second suggestion as well.  Although I was able to do it, it does absolutely nothing.  I first tried doing it and just restarting Outlook, but that didn't work so I restarted my whole machine.  Still does not work. 

If anyone has any other suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks. 

@Adam Lein 

Totally agree. This is the most annoying part for me.

@Mary Branscombe 

I totally agree with your characterization of this change as "jarring".

Call me an old "fuddy-duddy", but if I'm going to be forced to re-learn my day-to-day environment, I might as well go the whole hog, and revisit Google Office, etc.

There might be some underlying issue that this change to Search in Outlook is caused by.  I would suggest that the Devs find a way around it.

Cheers

russ

@Mary BranscombeAaaaaaaaa, this is the worst feature I have ever seen added to Office in over 20 years. Everyone must leave feedback explaining how bad this is, especially in outlook, the drop down hides the search tools that appear when you click in the box, it's unbelievably bad.

@Mary Branscombe 

Absolutely RIDICULOUS.. this is perhaps one of the worst UI decisions I have seen in a very long time. for years the windows title bar served as the handle for window relocation, minimize and maximize. Who that this was the right place to search for content shown several hundred / thousands of pixels away!

Give us the option to put it back where it belongs in the message frame!!!

I think the programmers were suffering from cranio-rectal inversion. As an added benefit, I think they slowed the response, time after one clicks on the search bar.
If I'm in a hurry and not thinking to move slower, I'll hit the search bar again, activating the shortcut to shrink the window. Sometimes, several windows open at once because the response time is so slow and I'll click again.

I have to learn to make slow methodical clicks now. That's progress for ya.

Maybe Microsoft is contracting out to those prisoners that got early release :)

Will someone please program a way to get around this issue?

@Firas65   to all comments - I have added my 2 cents in every possible location!  I agree will all and my biggest issue with this is:  I have 5 email accounts, in my Outlook profile.  I cannot tell from the TITLE BAR, yes that's what  it's called, FOR TITLES!!!.  I cannot tell what Mailbox I'm in, what folder, Sent Items, etc.  It's the worst design.  I work with many admin assistants also who have their managers mailbox added into their Outlook profile - they cannot tell if they're in their own or their bosses. TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE!!!

@Sallyws I understand you've already voted.

But for they who have not. Keep voting on put it back where it belongs and it will happen.

i can't tell you how useless this "forced" change to the search bar position is. Putting my own company aside I had at least 50 ppl call me after this "upgrade" to ask me why this absolutely useless change was adopted. Useless by the way is a nice term from the majority of expletives I heard.

Cheers,

Roc
Just tagging along here to voice our disdain for the search moving out of the outlook reading view pane and into the nav bar. We are not fans. Would love the ability to move it at will or revert back to where it was. The Search is wayyyyy to significant a feature right now to move it out of where it is. Hopefully Microsoft is adding a new and improved search feature. If not please give us back the old search box location.

@Mary Branscombe  Net result: A crippling loss of functionality. What was lost? Any way to easily see what email account or folder I'm in. That used to be on the top of the window. Now it has completely disappeared. The only way to see "where I am" is the highlighted folder name in the left-hand panel. I have 5 email accounts that I must monitor. Within each account I have tens to dozens of folders. When expanded (my normal configuration) the left hand list can take many seconds to scroll through.
Expected result: massive loss of time and situational awareness. And accidentally sending emails to people and organizations with an inappropriate email account address.
Please urge MS to restore visibility of account/folder name.

@PNAdvocateMike 

I find it very interesting that there has been no comment from Microsoft.  I've started looking for a new office suite as MS obviously has no plans to change this back.  If anyone figures out a fix or finds an alternative office suite, please post.

@PNAdvocateMike You can set the default to search in the folder you are currently in or only in the mailbox you are in.Folder seems to be the only one working properly, all the others do not turn back all the results. 

@BigJohn1966 well you can revert back to a version that has the searchbar at to usefull position and not on top like described here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2770432/how-to-revert-to-an-earlier-version-of-office-2013-...

Version Version 2002 (Build 12527.20194) seems to do the trick.

For other ideas check: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_office_suites

If MS is reading , I joined this group solely to complain about the new search location changing without my approval but I've gotten over that.  However, MS could make this a wonderful tool by adding the following:  rather than default to any folder, give us some quick click options like:  this folder, all folders, sent folder - even better let me customize those "buttons" as I might have multiple email accts.

On my screen, you have the real estate- pls MS, this would calm a lot of the complaints and would  increase productivity vs more clicks to find the folder I want to search.  Tx

@Andreiix 

I am not so sure that is accurate.  I had a computer running

12624.20442 and it did not have the search issue.   I downgraded two machines from 12730.20236

and the search bar and all other problems noted remained firmly in place.   I will try to revert to 12527.20194 and see if that actually works.  Judging by the win 10 updates and the changes to the search function (the cannot connect to the server error disappeared), it seems that this may be something that is part of the operating system vs Office 365.   I will try to revert and provide insight to what I experience.

Cheers,

@riclewallen 

OK.   I downgraded to 12527.20194 and the search bar did move back to the "correct" place.  I then updated win 10 to the most current update.   After that was complete, the search error went away.  I have set my office to not update.   I do not need this kind of headache any more.

Cheers,

In addition, it requires more klicks to search, since even the "Search" button needs to be clicked and does not response to CR. 

Also, the navigation to make the individual search parameters visible is very cumbersome and hard to navigate. 

Is there any what to migrate back to the previous search directly on top not the emails? 

just wondering if MS is doing any customer feedback before launching an update or if some developer just 'thinks' he/she has a good ideas ... very frustrating!

I agree @Mary Branscombe   My group is 1)confused where it went 2) tried several things to get the old bar back 3) dislike the search results..  They like the effortlessness of where the search bar was above the Inbox.

Anna - CleanSlate Techology Group