Table of contents links not working when save as PDF

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

On my system, TOC and Cross-reference links are working in MS Word. But, when the same document is save as PDF, these links are not clickable. Suddenly, these links have stopped working in this week.

When you use the word online editor and use save as pdf if it works,

Best Regards,

Update: There is Workaround. Thanks to the people of the adobe forum https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/toc-and-cross-reference-links-are-not-working-in-.... I reverted the latest update office 365 (Version 2109 (build 14430.20234)) and installed Version 2108 (build 14326.20348) and it works.

36 Replies
I think I have inadvertently confused - it works on Windows!

I just included details intending to clarify!
Good news - clickable links now working!

Had an update a few minutes ago to Version 16.55 (21114000)
Thanks for letting us know. I confirm it is working.
Thank you @Cloud_Agaric for updating us.

Unfortunately, it's still not working for me although I updated it to Version 16.55 (21111400).

I tried file=>save as PDF and file => print as PDF both ways are not working. I also tried restuarting the machine and software. No luck!
Just tried again with the other document that had been a problem - works fine with both ToC and bookmark internal links. I used File -> Save a Copy... -> PDF and Best for electronic distribution and accessibility (uses Microsoft online service).

Opened PDF in Preview and Acrobat Reader. Links work in both.
Thank you so much! This actually worked. Initially, was using the printing option instead but now with the "Best for electronic...." settings it worked.

Hi @jamalali2022 thank you for taking the time to help. That is how I’ve always converted my Word documents to PDF (never printing to PDF), always saving as (best for electronic version). Despite this, Microsoft’s recent iOS update in October broke this ability to retain embedded (cross referenced) links, including the TOC. Only external links remain.
In other words, I’m still experiencing issues with Word to PDF (best for electronic distribution). For the last year, I’ve been building a few hundred page electronic training manual. I’ve built the Word doc for ease of access so people can jump back and forth (did this using header cross reference points). I’ve had zero issues converting to the PDF before October. Now all my cross reference points are “un-clickable”. Trying not to panic, but this document is used company wide so I’m getting a bit worried lol
I am using Word on Windows, version Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2019.

I have to be able to print several different versions of this document, with different sections selected, such as "S1,S4-S10" and "S1,S11-S20" etc. So saving as PDF won't work, since I cannot selectively save sections. Only a custom print, to a PDF printer will work.

None of the TOC or intradocument links work when printing to the printer "Microsoft Print To PDF".

This is a very, very big problem for me. Any help very gratefully received.

@LInternet405 

Use Export -> Create PDF/XPS and choose the Standard (Publishing online and printing) option.

The Print to PDF approach tends to include only what is necessary for printing - not document structure information.

See how it goes.

@Clouded_Agaricthanks.  However I found there are a couple issues with this approach.

1.  After you set "Save as type" to PDF, then an "Options" button appears on the Save As dialogue, and from there you can select a page range, start to end.  However, you can't enter a selection of pages, such as using section identifiers, as in "S1,S10-S20", which you can from a print dialogue. 

2.  The image quality is poor.  Of course I selected the option to optimize for "Standard (publishing online and printing)", however the image quality degrades significantly.  This document has a lot of images designed to be zoomed in for more detail, and they are much more fuzzy.  The advantage of printing to the printer "Microsoft Print To PDF" is that image quality is retained, without any degradation.  That is probably also why in my tests those PDF's are much larger.

Found some information in an old post (has been replied to more recently):

https://superuser.com/questions/645657/export-word-document-with-high-resolution-png-to-pdf

Also, check the Options when you export - Optimise image quality?
So after considerable research, the situation is that there is no Word->PDF solution that will (1) print a selection of pages as desired, (2) in high image quality, (3) with links.

The "Microsoft Print To PDF" pdf printer will print in high quality image, and any selection of sections or pages as desired, e.g. "S1,S5-S10". But no intra-document links, such as from the table of contents.

The Save as PDF will save links. However you have to save the entire thing, since there is no ability to select sections as in printing "S1,S5-S10". And the image quality is downgraded.

There is a PDF printer I found called "doPDF" that will install a ribbon option in MS Office, with a function called "Save as PDF". It will save links, and give you the option of choosing the quality of the export, with higher quality images with of course a larger file. However, in this mode, as a ribbon option, it does not enable selective printing as in "S1,S5-S10".

Bottom line, if you need selective printing, go with "Microsoft Print to PDF" or doPDF in the PDF printer mode, but be aware no links.

If you need links and high quality images, and just need the entire document without selective printing, go with the Save as PDF function in the ribbon add-on from doPDF.

If you need links and very high quality images is not an issue, just use the built in Save as PDF.

If only the Microsoft Print To PDF function supported both intra-document links, and high quality images, all problems would be solved.

Hi everyone - I also had trouble with save as to PDF and the table of contents not working so I reversed the process and opened Adobe Acrobat Pro DC. It is a very easy fix until the fix with Word is updated.

1) Click on Create PDF

2) Under Advanced Settings make sure Bookmark links are checked

3) Click on Create

Take note that Adobe may be slow to respond and some patience may be needed when creating - I couldn't see any "spinning gears" or anything showing that create was in process but it appeared to be working in the background.