Slow start Office Mac

Copper Contributor

My Office applications for Mac (especially Word) bounce approximately 46 times in the dock, before temporarily freezing and then finally presenting a document to work in.

So starting up takes more than 1 minute! When it's finally up and running everything works fine and smoothly, so it's just the start-up that drives me mad.  

Strange enough this is only the case after having shut down the computer or taking the computer out of the slumber-state. If I quit the Office app and then immediately start the app again, starting will only take 2 bounces or less. 

I have already tried several things (re-installing Office, re-installing MacOS, deleting caches, preferences, deleting unused fonts etc) but nothing has helped so far. 

Any other suggestions?

I run Office 2019 on an iMac from 2017 with MacOSX Catalina. No problems with performance or speed of other applications. 

26 Replies

@albert23 

When your office crashes, freezes or slows down, there are several things you can do to try to fix the issue. One of the first things you can do is to restart your computer. This can help clear any temporary files or processes that might be causing the issue.

If restarting your computer doesn't solve the problem, you can try running a diagnostic tool like TechyCub Mac Cleaner to identify and fix any underlying issues. This software can help you detect and remove any unwanted files, such as cache files, logs, and temporary files that may be taking up valuable disk space and causing your computer to slow down.

TechyCub Mac Cleaner also provides several other features that can help you optimize your Mac's performance, including disk cleanup, disk optimization, and memory optimization. These features can help you free up space on your hard drive, speed up your computer's startup time, and improve overall system performance.

In summary, if your office crashes, freezes, or slows down, TechyCub Mac Cleaner can help you identify and fix any underlying issues that may be causing the problem. Its optimization features can help you improve your Mac's performance and keep it running smoothly.

@albert23 

Would suggest to have clean reinstallation for whole application 

I don't know if this would work for anyone else, but this solved my issue forever: If you are launching the Microsoft apps from the dock, remove all of them (shortcuts) from the dock. Open Finder, go to Applications folder, now drag the office apps from Applications folder to the dock and BAAAMM! Now open the apps from the dock, and they load lightning fast.

@bg15407 

This solution worked for me!!! Thank you.

FYI: I have an installed version of a purchased Office - The Web365 is a mess for those of us without full time Internet connections.

WORD (upper left next to FILE) -> Preferences -> General

Top third of panel:

• Confirm file format conversion at Open  --> DISABLED (no check in the box)
  • Show Document Gallery when opening Word --> DISABLED
  • Update automatic links at Open --> DISABLED

Launch is almost instant now.

Hope this helps.

I admit...I read this and rolled my eyes a bit...

BUT IT WORKED!!
this worked for me...dramatic change...from close to a minute to a few seconds...
one drive in general seems to be slow on macs...even in the sync
thank you for the suggestion

@albert23 

I had the same problem, I did quit all microsoft programs, then I removed all files called ~*.doc, ~*.dot, and ~*.tmp, emptied the trash. Problem solved.