Visio 2019 - Add-in for Database Modeling for reeingeniereng a CRM 365 or Dataverse datamodel

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I have a datamodel in CRM365 (on premise) which I need to reenigineer, since it's 500+ entities typing is not an option so want to read the metadata from D365 CRM an bring them to Visio. I am wondering if anybody has done this?

I am aware, that I could reeingineer the SQL-Server database itself, but there a lot of plattform columns come along which have to be removed. I could not find a way to modify the Database-information of the Visio add-in by VisualBasic.

Any ideas would be helpful :)

BR an thanks

Gerhard

1 Reply

@Gerhard_K 

Hi Gerhard,

It's great to see your interest in reengineering your CRM365 data model. Working with a large number of entities can indeed be challenging. When it comes to reading metadata from Dynamics 365 CRM and bringing it into Visio, you have a few options.

One approach you can consider is leveraging the capabilities of dynamics 365 dataverse. As you may already know from the discussion on the forum, Dataverse is not just a data hub but also a powerful API that allows seamless data sharing between Dynamics 365 apps and custom applications through the Power Platform.

You can utilize the Dataverse's RESTful APIs and OData endpoints to retrieve metadata about your entities. This can provide you with valuable insights into the structure of your data model. By understanding how Dynamics 365 Dataverse works in practice, you can streamline the reengineering process.

Moreover, Dataverse's support for structured, semi-structured, and unstructured data, along with its ability to create custom tables, makes it a versatile choice for adapting your data model. This aligns with the topic of 'How does Microsoft Dataverse work?' that you mentioned. It offers standardized storage while allowing flexibility for specific organizational needs.

In essence, Dynamics 365 Dataverse can act as a powerful resource for reengineering your CRM365 data model efficiently. It's worth exploring its capabilities and integration options to make the process smoother.

Best regards