Shared Mailbox - Add-MailboxPermission vs. "open additional mailbox" in Outlook itself

Deleted
Not applicable

One can share a mailbox with the Add-OutlookPermission cmdlet on the Exchange server. Automapping will make sure that the local Outlook user is going to see the shared mailbox automatically. I call it the "server method for mailbox sharing".

The "older" version of this is to open an andditional mailbox in the users local Outlook account setting. I call it the "client method for mailbox sharing".

When using Office 365 with Outlook 365 (Office 2016), is the "older" (client method) version for mailbox sharing still..

supported?

encouraged?

useful?

recommended or not recommended?

I have a certain (special) need that is apparently only working with the "older" version of mailbox sharing (see https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Office-365/Shared-Mailbox-keep-a-folder-private/m-p/181234#M1...).

Frankly, I would like to encourage the customer to move away from local outlook account settings  towards the server method of sharing mailboxes. But I lack a statement from Microsoft (or have not found it) that recommends the server method...

Thanks

Daniel

1 Reply

Again, the "older" methods also requires permissions to be granted, so the difference in behavior is mostly due to the difference in permissions. The "older" method is still working and supported, mostly used in cases when you only need to share a single folder (the generic case of sharing a Calendar or Contacts folder is exactly that). It's also preferred by organizations switching from Notes.

The Full Access method on the other hand allows you use many additional Outlook functionalities, especially when adding the mailbox as Additional Account. Automapping also has its uses, for example when you need access to the Archive mailbox. But overusing/over-relying on Autodiscover will cause you problems with bloated Outlook profiles, large OST files, etc.