Sending email as alias in office365?

Copper Contributor

I used to have my domain email hosted in office 365. The reason i switched was because of a lack of a feature i really needed. You had the ability to create multiple aliases in office 365 so you could receive multiple emails for your domain in your inbox. For example say my domain was example.org. I could recieve emails from

bob@example.org <--primary email address

orders@example.org

newsletters@example.org.

the only big thing missing was that you could not "send" from any email other than the primary email. so in the example above i could not send email as orders@example.org or newsletters@example.org. I could only send email as bob@example.org. Is this still true or can you send email from aliases? I don't want it to look like it came from the primary email "orders@example.org in care of bob@example.org".  The email i send with an alias should really look like it came from the alias. This is the only reason i'm on GApps and i'm hope to swtich back. Is this feature still missing?

thanks

189 Replies

@Victor Ivanidze It's not realistic to depend on some unknown 3rd party to send a business email, especially not when paying $1000's to MS for the ability already. (let's not even get into the security issues here)

Is there no solution to this yet? I've just migrated my company from GSuite to O365 and this is an absolutely critical requirement... I have 2 domains linked to my O365 account, but can't figure how to let me users send from either:

james@domain1.com
jame@domain2.co.uk

Surely this should be a standard feature?

I don't want to have to go through the massive task of migrating back to GSuite, let alone incur all of the costs of doing so.

@Joey BergenCould this also work for scheduling a meeting using an email alias? I want far more functionality with the alias than is possible and only recently learned that I can't make an alias into its own email account, which is quite limiting for my business, unfortunately. Thanks.

@carlomnibrandWe have used this solution for years https://www.fabozzi.net/send-from-an-alias-or-secondary-exchange-account-in-outlook/ After setting it up test to an external account to verify it is the correct sender.  Internal communication always populates the default address.  We have a co.uk address we use as well.  It is not perfect but it works.

I am totally with you there that this feature should be included however the above walk through I have created is the only "simple" way I know of to achieve what I wanted.  I know the process seems long but I can probably set it up in about 5 minutes now have doing it so many times lol.

Let me know if you have any questions I have been dealing with this issue for over 8 yrs no joke.

@carlomnibrandAfter setup feel free to email me at Info@fabozzi.net and tell me what it SHOULD say as the from account and I can verify. 

@DDRight 

as far as I know we have used the above method from my previous post for calendaring and it works however if you clarify more on what you mean I can let you know.

@afabozzi-20  

Hi, 

I have used our setup, with only one difference: I disabled MFA in Azure. So POP has acces to O365 account. Also changed the data file to main account. Sending as works perfectly but...

The only issue I have is that I see my sent email twice in my sent items box. This obviously only happens when sending with POP alias.

Any ideas anyone?

Kaj

@KajSchneider 

I don't recommend disabling MFA I would recommend using an App password instead which should be outlined in my instructions. I understand wanting to disable it though to skip that step.

If you want to send any screenshots to my email info@fabozzi.net or post them here I can maybe see what is happening.  I remember that happening once and don't remember what I did to fix it.  I may have created a rule to delete the extra email because it turned out it was only sending the email once but putting it twice in the sent items folder. I think it had something to do with the POP folder location in the end but not for sure. The screenshot of this location is what I am wondering:

afabozzi-20_0-1590587306175.png

Also your POP configuration would be good.  blur out your email info or email me if you like.

@afabozzi-20 Thank you for quick reply. Will send you an email with info in 2 days as I need to copy info from friends computer. And yes... I will restore MFA and use App password when I sorted out this issue.

Maybe using the app password is already the solution as it is not 100% same...?

Regards

@KajSchneider 

I don't suspect the app password being the issue. I will look out for the info and hopefully I can help!

@afabozzi-20 I do remember I selected the sent items box and not the inbox of main account.

Kind of makes sences this will make a difference... will let you know the outcome.

@KajSchneiderOh ya now I understand what you mean.  That should be the problem.  When selecting the Inbox folder the mail will NOT go in there instead it will go in the sent items folder automatically for sent mail.  Hope it works out.

@afabozzi-20 Unfortunatly it did not work, I already used the inbox of the 365 account to connect the POP account for the alias.

So I also played with checkboxes to leave copy on server or not. In other fora I read about more explicit checkboxes when you set up imap/smtp account. Any experience with that?

I am thinking about an setup similar as yours but with imap for alias and unchecking boxes.

Also will use App password first for POP to see if it makes a difference (do not expect, but paramater might give the system a reason not to copy email).

Any thougths?

@KajSchneiderSorry I am unsure what the issue can be. Sometimes odd problems can be resolved by deleting the POP account and starting over.  I have not tried IMAP so I would not be any help there.

Have you tested to see if it is actually sending two emails to the person or only one? Hope you get something figured out. 

@afabozzi-20 Hi quick update. 

It is still not working. I had trouble with app password and will still try that as this is the only difference with your manual.

What I see is that the alias leaves copy in sent items local with alias in name. But as it is send through same smtp on that account en copy in 365 mailbox appears shortly after.

My new idea is to set up something like a general smtp account to sent throug with alias. What do you think?

I am not entirely sure what you mean. It should leave a local cached copy in Outlook and be in OWA as well. I know I have had to delete the SMTP account and re add it because of weird problems. Email me and we can setup a call or remote session if you like and I will see what I can do. info@fabozzi.net

@afabozzi-20 Hi, due to other demands like having mailbox name on top of prints, I have made a different approach to this challenge. We bought 2 more mailboxes and use them as pass through pop boxes. This works perfect (as MS wants you to buy boxes...)

In my local tests I still had same problems with double sent items.... first mail was with correct head and sender and second was downloaded from cloud as copy with head of main mailbox.

Any how... I am still in doubt why, but I stop my investigation here. 

Yo're a star @afabozzi-20 , thank you for that, it worked perfectly for me.

I was reading through the whole tread and was not believing that the only "proper" (in "" because I still believe the "proper" one should come from MS) solution was the DL one... Saved my day there...

@KajSchneidersorry it did not work out for you but glad you found another way.

@favsantosGlad it worked!!

I just setup two accounts today and noticed something new which may be promising:

Alias.png

When clicking FROM this time the first email is his primary address (which is normal) and then the two below the primary where the accounts I added using my walk through.  The accounts below the line are aliases available on his account in exchange NOT setup in Outlook.  When I selected any of the accounts BELOW the line the reply to address was still his primary account (You are close Microsoft!).  The three accounts ABOVE the top line showed the correct reply to address for each one when sending an email.

Does anyone else see this list in the FROM now?  I don't remember that happening but who knows I have done a lot of working around the problem and could have been blind to it.

I hope it is a step toward a Microsoft implemented solution though.

This actually has kind of always happened to me.
Every time I tried this before (using an alias) by going through the "default" option which is just creating the alias in Admin then create a new email, click on "From" then if the first time trying to use the alias clicking on "Other Email Address" and typing in the alias address, this would be "recorded" below this "line" you mentioned.

Now after doing your process of adding the alias as a second and POP account, I had the newly created POP alias account over the line and the "original" alias below the line.

@favsantosya I think I know what you are talking about now.  Thanks for the clarification. Hopefully someday it will be a built in feature.

@James O'Sullivan 
The method you proposed doesn't seem to work properly. It does allow selecting a "from" email however the recipient still sees the primary domain