SOLVED

retention tag and policy

Brass Contributor

Hi experts
When i add retention tag i can see the below 3 options, please help me understand the options.

applied automatically to entire mailbox(default)
applied automatically to a default folder
applied by users to items and folders(personal)

for example under inbox i have folders and sub folders.
if i select the option applied automatically to entire mailbox(default)
will the retenton tag applies to inbox folders and subfolders.

under inbox i have folders and sub folders
if i select the option applied automatically to a default folder
will the retenton tag only apply to inbox and not the folders and subfolders.

what does the below option do.

Under Retention Action i can see Delete And Allow Recovery what does this option do.

Currently i have mailbox with 90 days archive it has folders and subfolders, i want to archive after 30 days and delete emails after 180 days.
how do i approach this scenario
When i create new retention policy what should i select and what should be my retention action type

5 Replies
best response confirmed by Rising Flight (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Hi,

In a retention policy you can add the following:

1) applied automatically to entire mailbox(default) | DPT

2) applied automatically to a default folder | RPT

3) applied by users to items and folders(personal) | Personal

- The DPT is applied to the entire Mailbox. That is all the folders within your mailbox, also the folders that cant be seen by the end user.

- The DPT inclueds an option to move emails to Archive if you have an Archive mailbox.

- DPT is applied by the Administrator.

Run the Get-mailboxfolderstatistics <User> | fl *Identity* to see the list of folders that are present in the Mailbox.

- The RPT is applied to default folders only. eg. Calendar, Clutter, Inbox (which is another folder in your mailbox), etc.

- The RPT doesn't have the option to move to archive.

- It is used mainly because end users tend to keep a lot of items in other folders like deleted items, clutter etc.

- The RPT is applied by the Administrator.

- Lastly a personal tag is created by the Administrator and is intended to be used by end users.

- It can be applied to folders and emails by end users.

- This will take priority and if applied by a user on an email will override the settings set by the Admin.

- The personal tag has the ability to move emails to Archive.

Reference this link for more information: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/security-and-compliance/messaging-records-management/reten...

Hope this helps.

---------------------------------------------

Clint Oliveira

Please see inline the answers to your questions. Answers in bold for visibility. 

for example under inbox i have folders and sub folders.
if i select the option applied automatically to entire mailbox(default)
will the retenton tag applies to inbox folders and subfolders.
- Yes

under inbox i have folders and sub folders
if i select the option applied automatically to a default folder
will the retenton tag only apply to inbox and not the folders and subfolders.
- If you apply the RPT to the default Inbox folder then it will not apply to the custom folders that are created.
- Ref: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/security-and-compliance/messaging-records-management/defau...

what does the below option do.
- These are created by Admins to be used by end users.
- "Personal tags allow your users to determine how long an item should be retained. For example, the mailbox can have a DPT to delete items in seven years, but a user can create an exception for items such as newsletters and automated notifications by applying a personal tag to delete them in three days"
- ref: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/security-and-compliance/messaging-records-management/reten...

Under Retention Action i can see Delete And Allow Recovery what does this option do.
- "Emulates the behavior when the user empties the Deleted Items folder.
Items are moved to the Recoverable Items Folder in the mailbox and preserved until the deleted item retention period.
Provides the user a second chance to recover the item using the Recover Deleted Items dialog box in Outlook or Outlook Web App"

Currently i have mailbox with 90 days archive it has folders and subfolders, i want to archive after 30 days and delete emails after 180 days.
how do i approach this scenario
When i create new retention policy what should i select and what should be my retention action type
- Create a retnetion policy with the following Tags:
- DPT - Move to archive after 30 days
- RPT - Apply this tag to the following default folder: Archive > Delete after 180 Days

Hi experts

I will follow the below procedure please guide me.

Retention Tag1 -

Retention Action -- Move to Archive
Retention Period-- When the items the following agte(in days) = 30

Retention Tag2- 

Retention Action -- i am confused here

Delete and Allow Recovery- By default i think 30GB is the recoverable items folder size limit in exchange 2016. if i select this if recoverable items folder is full then will user be able to send and receive emails. since this mailbox is 300GB existing from 5 years

Retention Period-- When the items the following age(in days) = 180

I will create retention policy and add these two retention tags. 

I will edit the mailbox and go to mailbox features and select this retention policy.

Retention Tag 2 would be an RPT:
- The RPT is applied to default folders only. eg. Archive "new tag applied automatically to a default folder"
- Retention Action: Permanently delete
- Retention Period 180 Days.
- You can also Enable unlimited archiving in Office 365
Set-OrganizationConfig -AutoExpandingArchive
Reference: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/securitycompliance/enable-unlimited-archiving
Did I manage to answer your question?
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Rising Flight (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Hi,

In a retention policy you can add the following:

1) applied automatically to entire mailbox(default) | DPT

2) applied automatically to a default folder | RPT

3) applied by users to items and folders(personal) | Personal

- The DPT is applied to the entire Mailbox. That is all the folders within your mailbox, also the folders that cant be seen by the end user.

- The DPT inclueds an option to move emails to Archive if you have an Archive mailbox.

- DPT is applied by the Administrator.

Run the Get-mailboxfolderstatistics <User> | fl *Identity* to see the list of folders that are present in the Mailbox.

- The RPT is applied to default folders only. eg. Calendar, Clutter, Inbox (which is another folder in your mailbox), etc.

- The RPT doesn't have the option to move to archive.

- It is used mainly because end users tend to keep a lot of items in other folders like deleted items, clutter etc.

- The RPT is applied by the Administrator.

- Lastly a personal tag is created by the Administrator and is intended to be used by end users.

- It can be applied to folders and emails by end users.

- This will take priority and if applied by a user on an email will override the settings set by the Admin.

- The personal tag has the ability to move emails to Archive.

Reference this link for more information: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/security-and-compliance/messaging-records-management/reten...

Hope this helps.

---------------------------------------------

Clint Oliveira

View solution in original post