SOLVED

Replacing Office 2016 VL 64 bit with Office 365 (desktop) 64 bit version

Iron Contributor

Hi

I want to replace an  older Office 2016 VL  version on my laptop with an  Office 2016 64 bit version as offered in theOffice 365  E3 plan.  The reason is,  I want to try out the early release features.  Now assuming I can't just install one version over another, I am looking for the best way which has the minium impact to my daily use of Office 2016. Anyway, I  came up with a sort of mini plan for review by the community:

• Install Office 2016 64 bit via a link on Portal.Office.com. Note, I only ever seem to get the 32 bit version link
  • Reconnect my previous Outlook .ost file
  • Reconnnect my previous ODFB local folder structure - in the past I have had to copy this file structure and overwrite  onece the first sync has taken place.
  • Breath a sign of relief !

Like most of  us I use Office everyday so I am a bit nervous on what could go wrong.

11 Replies

Out of curiosity, are you on Windows 10?

@Salvatore Biscari . 

@Salvatore Biscari wrote:

Out of curiosity, are you on Windows 10?

Yes, 100%.  

Why do you need Office 64 Bits ?

@Nuno Silva  I have tended to go for 64 bit apps because of my o/s and hence, 64 bit versions of SharePoint Designer, Visio etc however,  with the exception of MS Teams, Visual Studio et all are all 32bits so  I guess it makes no odds.  Note i haven't had any issues with opening documents in the browser or drag and drop in explorer view.

MS are simply  paying it safe with the 32bit link - be interested in how many peeps have downloaded the 64-bit version of Office from the portal.

Why do you need 64 Bits version ? If you use 32 bits it's strait forward the process.

@Nuno Silva Ok if I can replace my current 64-bit version of with 32-bit version of office and have no perrformance issues, plus it won't affect any office addins I either get from the store or build then it should be ok.  I am just a bit suprised that a link to the 64 bit version fron the portal is going to be an issue. Remember I will need to reisntall SPD, Visio, project with the 32 version so either way it won't be straight forward

Hi Daniel,

In the following link is the explination of the benefits and drwaback of deploying 64-bit Office - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee681792.aspx

If you follow this link you can chose the Installation of 64 bit Office if your decision is to go to 64 bit version - https://portal.office.com/OLS/MySoftware.aspx amd

Hi Nuno

I take your point. To be honest I don't really do anything that warrants 64-bit windows. However, I will need to uninstall visio ect so this will probably mean I stay 64bit . Thanks for your help.  I won't be able to perform my resintall until Thursday due to my client work but I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks

best response confirmed by Daniel Westerdale (Iron Contributor)
Solution

Hi Daniel,

Many thanks, I understand your decision, because the other products and the time you have to spent over uninstall/install. 

@Nuno Silva

I have done clicked on the second link but it goes staight to the 32 version...

Daniel

Sorry the advanced link is a bit obscure ... click on that and and I can select the 64-bit version
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Daniel Westerdale (Iron Contributor)
Solution

Hi Daniel,

Many thanks, I understand your decision, because the other products and the time you have to spent over uninstall/install. 

View solution in original post