New OneDrive client doesn't sync directories with a '#' in it's name

Copper Contributor

I installed the latest OneDrive client version 17.3.6917.607 on Windows 10 Enterprise Version 1703 build 15063.483 (and removed Groove.exe, just to be sure). I selected a Sharepoint Online library to sync as well as the OneDrive for Business files. According to KB3125202 (updated yesterday!), only the characters <, >, :, ", |, ?, *, / and \ are not allowed, along with some specific names like COMx, NUL, AUX, etc.

So why do I get "The name or type isn't allowed." for these directories? They are part of a nodes_modules directory, btw.

5 Replies

EDIT: I updated the OneDrive client to 17.3.6944.627, but still no luck. And to clarify: the directories involved are stored in a OneDrive for Business folder, not Sharepoint Online folder/library. I only mentioned the SharePoint Online part to state that I use the same OneDrive client for both (which I subsequenty forgot in my previous post)...

EDIT 2: Just noticed, there is a better place for this question: in the OneDrive for Business community. So I posted my question there.
Sorry, for this noise, I am new to the Tech Community site...

While # is technically now supported in file names/paths in OneDrive for Business and SharePoint, it's not always enabled by default in your tenant.  This blog post outlines the availablity of supporting it.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/wbaer/2017/04/06/new-support-for-and-in-sharepoint-online-and-on...

1. Tenants created June 2017 or later should have spport enabled by default

2. If you tenant is older than June 2017 you need to run some PowerShell to enable it.

Once you run that PowerShell, you should be all set.

Thanks. I will investigate. Initial attempt failed: I did set SpecialCharactersStateInFileFolderNames to Allowed, but probably have the wrong tenant for OD...

UPDATE: It took a while and a reboot, but the sync errors are gone... Great!

Thanks again.