How to disable MFA and Microsoft Authenticator for all users

Brass Contributor

Hello

Please i would like to know how to disable MFA and Microsoft authenticator for all users within the tenant?

2 Replies
Disabling Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) and Microsoft Authenticator for all users within a tenant typically involves administrative privileges and can impact security. It’s crucial to understand the implications before proceeding. That said, here’s a general guide:

1. Access Azure Active Directory (Azure AD) Portal: Sign in to the Azure portal with an account that has global administrator permissions.
2. Navigate to Azure AD: Go to the Azure Active Directory section.
3. Select Security: From the left-hand menu, select “Security.”
4. Choose MFA Settings: Under the “Manage” section, select “MFA.”
5. Disable MFA: Within MFA settings, you should have options to disable MFA for users or to change the MFA enforcement mode. Adjust these settings accordingly.
6. Manage Microsoft Authenticator: Depending on your organization’s setup, you may also need to manage Microsoft Authenticator settings separately. This might involve disabling the app or removing it from users’ accounts.
7. Communicate Changes: Ensure proper communication with users about the changes, especially if they’re accustomed to using MFA.
8. Verify: After making changes, verify that MFA and Microsoft Authenticator are effectively disabled for all users as intended.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved. If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up. Remember, every challenge is an opportunity for growth.

@MikeJohn1710 

Take this:

1. Sign in to the Azure portal as a security administrator, Conditional Access administrator, or global administrator.

2. Browse to Azure Active Directory > Properties.

3. Select Manage security defaults.

4. Set Security defaults to Disabled (not recommended).

5. Select Save.