How could Exchange Online increase mboxes by 50GB but Dynamics CRM still charges $9.99 per 1GB?!

Iron Contributor
7 Replies

Because it was advantageous on both a marketing and commerical front? 

Totally agree...the cost of Dynamics storage does not make any sense compared to the cost of extra storage in SPO ( 20 cents of euro pero additional GB) or the storage we have for free in EXO

But seriously, it all comes down to commerical need and marketing. Dynamics competes against Salesforce. How much do they charge to hold data? Exchange Online competes against Gmail/G Suite, so the mailboxes have to be larger. Exchange Online also needs large mailboxes to convince customers to move all the data they have in PSTs into a place where that data is discoverable and compliant... and so on...  This is an apples to oranges comparison.

I realize there are different technologies backing the various services and likely different costs to run those systems. The problem is that over time, this price should be going down (not just down relative to inflation). AWS goes down. Azure goes down. Office 365 increases features and capacity for the same price. Yet, in all the years I've been using CRM the price has remained the same for 1GB.

The disparity is too great to be ignored and this announcement really got my goat. In my not so humble opinion, someone is either asleep at the wheel or they are taking advantage of customers because the customer has no other choice. Putting this on "market forces" (my interpretation of your explanation) is not satisfactory. They need to provide more value. They should AT LEAST give us the ability to control our usage more. You can't delete attachments from tracked emails. It's ridiculous.

OK I'll stop now.
Agree, but I still think the extra storage cost for Dynamics CRM is too expensive and it's quite easy to reach the default storage that I believe is 5 GB only....

I agree as well that the extra storage charges for Dynamics CRM seem high. I'm waiting to see how this all sorts out with Dynamics 365 new plans, etc. I'm still uncertain how our existing plans and usage will translate. 

But a big hello to @Tony Redmond! I've been gladly hearing your advice for 20 years or so now. Came from a Banyan Systems networking world into early Exchange for >10,000 users.

Hi back to @Alan Smith - 20 years is too long to be giving advice. It's time for me to take some...