Collaboration between tenants

Copper Contributor

Hi All,

I would like to know some Microsoft recommendations on below scenario.

Company A has bought Company B. Company A is completely in Office 365 wherein Company B is 90% in Office 365 and 10% in on-premises Exchange 2013. 

We would like to 

Share Address books, free/busy information and skype presence between Company A and company B.

What are the options left for us other migrating company B to company A office 365 tenant?

5 Replies

Hi @NaveenKumar S,

About free/busy, you can read this article https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/ehlro/2015/03/26/enable-freebusy-information-between-the-office-...

About skype presence, you need to federate each other if the both Office 365 are not open to federations.

If you require the tenants to be merged this is quite difficult. I have performed this a number of times and it requires 3rd party software.

Note there is currently NO migration path between tenants for Teams or Yammer

Only Exchange, OneDrive and Sharepoint data migration is possible.

Hi Mitch could you advise what 3rd party software you find works best.  I have several clients I need to do this for and haven’t been. Able to get a good solution from Microsoft.

regards Matthew 

BinaryTree do one (power365), BitTitan, SkyKick.

they all work in the same way using the same API's, the data migration is easy, the complexity is in the identities. If you want the identities to remain linked to on-prem AD then this is a challenge. Only BinaryTree and SkyKick do a user mapping from T2T.... BUT the user would become a "cloud" user in the destination and no longer linked with an on-premises identity. 

My preference is to (in a merger) do a continuous synchronisation of the users, groups, contacts from source domain to target domain/AD (on-prem) using something like Binary Tree or Quest. These are then synchronised to the destination Azure AD. 

It is not a simple task and is becoming more difficult/impossible with Teams as this stitches groups, data & identities from all over Office 365 so trying to reconstruct Teams in a different tenant is going to be a big headache.

Hi Mitch

thank you for the advice

Regards  Matthew