Group discussions don't show in email inbox

Iron Contributor

Should discussions in Office 365 Groups or Classroom be available to read in the email inbox?

Some members of staff claim that it isn't, which means they are unaware of updates to discussions.

11 Replies
To receive group messages in Group members inboxes it's required to configure the subscription option in the Group so a copy of each message posted is sent to Group members inboxes

Thanks Juan.

I assume this is done in Group settings. Would this work the same way for groups which have been created by Classroom?

How come some Groups have email set to default, and others don't?

Yea, in group setttings, check the box that says "Subscribe users to...."

In Outlook 2016, you really do not need it, as you have groups already in your folder tree, but if people want the email goign to their inbox, they have to subscribe to it, or you can check the box for them

or check out these images for help

email setttings-grp.pngsubscribe.png

Thanks again both.

I was certainly able to enable the feature for Office 365 Groups. However, when I attempt to change the settings for groups created in Classroom, I get the following pop-up: 

'The group can't be saved right now. Please try again later.'

Why might it be that Classroom groups cannot have settings changed?

I assume that nobody knows why Classroom doesn't allow us to change its settings, so that its discussions are sent to Outlook's inbox.

Does this mean this functionality is disabled in Classroom? Should I add it as a request?
I've also recently asked this question here and had no response, the Classroom groups seemingly do not allow you to make alterations to them in this way. It might be possible with powershell, though I've not looked into it.

Good to know somebody else is frustrated with lack of response from MS Man Very Happy

@Jack Rowley Which web browser are you using? And are you connecting to Office on your PC using multiple accounts (multiple tenants)?  

You may want to try a different one than IE, e.g. Chrome and use Inprivate mode. I use multiple accounts for different tenants and what I experienced with IE and inprivate mode is that I get errors accessing classroom (since it is still in preview) and when I use chrome (inprivate) then it works as expected. I can also change groups settings from groups created with classroom as well.

I'm using Chrome and accessing a single tenant.

The only setting that cannot be changed is the one relating to member subscription, so it strikes me that this is deliberate for one reason or another. I can for example enable the ability for people to email the classroom group from external sources.

I should mention, I'm able to change this setting on none classroom groups, so it's clearly not a browser or account issue.

We are having this problem as well. The same result in IE11, Chrome and Firefox.  Does anyone have an update on when this may be resolved?

I made a separate thread about this in the Classroom section, but it doesn't look like anyone from Microsoft is actually active over there. So much like this thread, no real progress.

The only thing really to add is that you cannot change this setting via PowerShell for classroom created groups, so which browser/version is irrelevant.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Classroom/Emailing-Student-Inboxes-from-Classroom/m-p/21158#M...