Microsoft.SharePoint.exe issues

Brass Contributor

I have been getting random prompts from my W11 PC telling me that in order to synchronise my lists I have to authenticate, but when I click on this to do so, the dialog that pops up has the wrong account displayed (another one of mine that I use for professional work as opposed to my personal account, which is what should be in use) and there is no way for me to tell it that this is the wrong account; I checked my OneDrive settings (since it's an M365 tool) and it is already set to use the correct account.

I have established that the executable responsible for this is Microsoft.SharePoint.exe - yes, a desktop executable called SharePoint. It is a Microsoft application and it resides at C:\Program Files\Microsoft OneDrive\23.071.0402.0001, so it would appear that it may be something to do with OneDrive . I have attached a screenshot so you can see what I am talking about.

I need a mechanism by which to instruct this login dialog that it is using the wrong account.

3 Replies

@Michael Brooks 

How about M365 account under your PC, may locate more information under Credential Manager

Thanks for the suggestion. I have just checked there but unfortunately the username shown within "OneDrive Cached Credential" is merely a hexadecimal string, so I've no way of determining which account that actually refers to. That said, I would expect the Credential Manager to be what OneDrive is using, and I know that OneDrive generally is working - in addition to the admin dialog showing the correct account (see earlier screenshot), it is populating the OneDrive folder hierarchy with the correct files.
The relevant questions are:
1) given that Microsoft.SharePoint.exe is clearly something to do with OneDrive, why does it not use the same credential source as the rest of OneDrive?
2) where does it obtain its cached credentials?
3) how do I change or delete its cached credentials?

@Michael Brooks 

I had the identical issue you're describing and solved it with the following link sharepointdiary.com/2021/06/how-to-reset-onedrive-for-business-sync-client (shorten link)

Just simply do:

Step 3: Type in the Reset Command
In the Command Prompt window, type in the below command and press enter:

%localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe /reset

, Where %localappdata% is the direct path to onedrive.exe

Hope this resolve your issue