O365 MFA for Office Phones with Auto-Attendant

Copper Contributor

Good afternoon, I am trying to set up MFA for Office 365 accounts for my stores to use and would like to use the "Office Phone" option. However, we have an auto-attendant in the dial plan that I can't seem to get past. (I.E. press 1 for store hours, press 2 for address, press 3 to speak to an employee.) Is there a way to have the MFA dial the correct menu option? I tried to add the menu option as the extension, but it did not get through. Thank you in advance.

1 Reply
Hi @bclemente,

Maybe not the reaction you were hoping for, or a reaction that will answer your question. But let me first start by mentioning that shared accounts are not the preferred method to grant access to Office 365 resources. Instead, I would recommend personal accounts with MFA configured on employees' mobile phones and a security key if not possible. The reason is straightforward, with shared accounts, you don't have any audit available since you need to rely on the shift times of employees. So when one of the employees sabotages, you can't track who ran the action, only based on shift times, but this isn't proof legal-wise. Besides that, whenever an employee leaves the company, you will need to change the password since they can still access the account. The chance of approving a sign-in from an Office Phone is significant. I hope this will change your mind.

If this doesn't help you and, for some reason, you can't use Personal Accounts; I would recommend you purchase security keys for each user that uses the account and configure this as a security method under the shared account.