SOLVED

[SOLVED] Forward M365 Admin Status Emails

Copper Contributor

Hi guys,

I'm struggling to receive my status-Emails from AdminCenter oder EntraID.

Background/ Issue: we use dedicated Admin-Accounts for the M365/O365 administration (as it should be), roles are assigned through PIM. Each of these accounts do not either have a mailbox nor any assigned licences. However, if I would have a mailbox created, I would receive Status Emails like some Admin account activated a role through PIM hence which I do not receive at the moment.

Is there any feasable and managable way to forword these Emails to my (normal) user mailbox?

I already tried with Mail flow rules in Exchange Online to forword these mails, but still a trace tells me 550 5.1.10 (address not found; obviously). 

Another idea was to set up a contact to achieve this, but as the Email address (UPN) already exists, this is not a possible solution as well.

Is there a way to achieve this (maybe there's an easy solution an I only used the wrong search criteria in Google ;))?

Many thanks in advance and cheers

Matthias.

2 Replies
I would like to know the answer myself?
best response confirmed by kyle_mge (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Ok, so this was eventually so embarrassingly easy, I found the solution now by myself. Embarrassing because I struggled for so long but it was always so much in plain sight and easy.

For everyone interested, this is my solution:

1. assign an appropriate license to your (glass-break) admin-account from whom you actually like to receive the emails, that a mailbox will be created (e.g. O365E3 or similar) through Entra-ID
  2. wait until the mailbox is created, change to Exchange Admin Center (https://admin.exchange.microsoft.com/#/homepage), search for the mailbox in "Manage Mailboxes" (Recipients > Mailboxes), which actually is a User Mailbox and convert to Shared Mailbox 
  3. click on "Mailflow setting" for the just created mailbox and choose "Email forwarding". Activate Email forwarding and fill in appropriate information (typically to forward to an internal email address and search for your address). Make sure the rule is activated
  4. remove the license you assigned in a. and you're good to go.

Every Email now sent to the admin-account is being forwarded to your licensed Email-address without consuming another license.

Cheers.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by kyle_mge (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Ok, so this was eventually so embarrassingly easy, I found the solution now by myself. Embarrassing because I struggled for so long but it was always so much in plain sight and easy.

For everyone interested, this is my solution:

1. assign an appropriate license to your (glass-break) admin-account from whom you actually like to receive the emails, that a mailbox will be created (e.g. O365E3 or similar) through Entra-ID
  2. wait until the mailbox is created, change to Exchange Admin Center (https://admin.exchange.microsoft.com/#/homepage), search for the mailbox in "Manage Mailboxes" (Recipients > Mailboxes), which actually is a User Mailbox and convert to Shared Mailbox 
  3. click on "Mailflow setting" for the just created mailbox and choose "Email forwarding". Activate Email forwarding and fill in appropriate information (typically to forward to an internal email address and search for your address). Make sure the rule is activated
  4. remove the license you assigned in a. and you're good to go.

Every Email now sent to the admin-account is being forwarded to your licensed Email-address without consuming another license.

Cheers.

View solution in original post