Moving from on-premise to Exchange online, should I keep using Public Folder for Address Book?

Brass Contributor

Currently, we have a Public Folder for company contacts.  The folder option to "Show in Address Book" is enabled so all users can pick email addresses.  Works great.

Should I do the same at Exchange Online or is there a better method?

Thank you in advance!

2 Replies

Hi @JaxPlanet 

Microsoft doen't recomment to use Public folder any more and always ask to use Office 365 Group instead.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved

If you like my response, please give it a Like :smile:

Appreciate your Kudos! Proud to contribute! :)

Hello @JaxPlanet,

You have many ways to achieve your goal.

You could create a custom address list for those contacts: Address lists in Exchange Online | Microsoft Learn

You could use a shared mailbox with a security group: Share calendar and contacts in Microsoft 365 - Outlook | Microsoft Learn

You can migrate your public folders to O365 groups, ( usually recommended but for this specific scenario may not be the best solution :( Migrate your public folders to Microsoft 365 Groups in Exchange Online | Microsoft Learn

From my perspective, only for contacts, option 1 or 2 will be OK for you. And finally, of course, you can still use PF in exchange online, even if it's not the recomended way to go :)

Hope this helps and wish you a good day.